NFU 0 (7p) Stalybridge Celtic 0 (8p) (FAC 4QR)

Emirates FA Cup
Fourth Round Qualifying Replay
28 October  2015

North Ferriby United   0   Stalybridge Celtic  0   
Stalybridge win 8-7 on penalties

Ferriby’s hopes of a First Round FA Cup tie at Doncaster Rovers were dashed as they lost 8-7 in a penalty shoot-out. The game finished goalless after extra time. Ferriby were denied their first ever appearance in the FA Cup First Round.

Both sides started the game brightly chances in the first minute. Adam Nicklin was called into action to save an  Adam Farrell effort before Curtis Bateson’s shot was blocked in a crowded Stalybridge Celtic penalty box. Danny Clarke was first to the ball but Stalybridge keeper Anthony McMillan saved his shot.

Adam Bolder spotted Celtic keeper Anthony McMillan off his line but the Ferriby midfielder was unable to get his long range shot on target.

After that the game was played at a rather frenetic pace. Nicklin was the busier of the two goalkeepers. Celtic were certainly playing better than they did on Saturday and looked the more threatening without really creating any good chances.

It was the 28th minute before either side had a shot on target with Nicklin saving from Chris Simm.

As half-time approached,  Danny Emerton and Liam King saw shots from the edge of Celtic’s box blocked.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath changed things at the interval with 6ft 7 striker Tom Denton replacing Adam Bolder to challenge the Stalybridge defence. Stalybridge struggled to contain Denton but it was one of those games where the ball would not fall for Ferriby in the visitors’ penalty area.

However, it was Celtic who should have taken the lead after 47 minutes when Saturday’s Celtic hero Bohan Dixon missed a glorious chance following good work by Simm.
Ferriby then took control but could not find a way past McMillan in the visitors’ goal. Mark Gray saw a header cleared off the line. Denton and Bateson, twice, both went close before Danny Clarke drew a diving save from McMillan.

Stalybridge offered little goal threat but Nicklin had to make a fingertip save from Alex Johnson after 80 minutes.

Stalybridge forced this replay thanks to an injury time goal on Saturday. Ferriby almost won the tie in the same manner but Danny Clarke’s shot was brilliantly saved by McMillan to force the game into extra time.
Ferriby dominated extra-time but could not find the elusive goal that they deserved.  Shots were blocked and McMillan saved from Danny Emerton.

Stalybridge took the first penalty and the first 15 ended in the net. Sadly for Ferriby, Russ Fry put his kick over the bar and it was curtains for The Villagers.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented,
“I’m extremely disappointed. We did enough to win and, as on Saturday, we were denied a clear penalty. We had some good chances, especially in the second-half.

They dominated us physically in the first-half and stopped us playing. That’s why I brought Tom Denton on at half-time. His physical presence made life difficult for their defenders.

“We pick ourselves up now and get back to league action at Nuneaton on Saturday.”

NU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton (Sam Topliss 92), Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Danny Clarke (Ryan Kendall 120), Russell Fry, Danny Emerton,  Adam Bolder (Tom Denton 45) Curtis Bateson: Subs not used:, Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce, Ross Armstrong,

 Stalybridge Celtic: Anthony McMillan, Peter Wylie,  Oliver Crowley,  Matthew Hughes,  Jack Higgins,  Aaron Chalmers,  Bohan Dixon,  Danny Wisdom (Dale Wright 80)  Chris Simm (Ben McKenna 63), Alex Johnson (Adain Chippendale 80)  Adam Farrell, Subs not used: Callum Hill, Alex Mudimu, Steve Tames, Darius Osei



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors