Nantwich Town 2 NFU 3 (Evo Prem)

Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division

Nantwich Town  2 North Ferriby United  3 
Ferriby gave a convincing performance to gain their first ever win at Nantwich's Weaver Stadium and keep their four point lead at the top of the table.

Ferriby were the better team throughout and fully deserved to win. New loan signing Anthony Wilson scored twice and had a hand in Ryan Kendall's winning goal.

Ferriby threatened from the start and Wilson almost scored twice in the opening seven minutes. First he was bustled off the ball as he burst through on goal then his shot was deflected for a corner.

Dean Lisles had a good opportunity when he rose to meet Russel Fry's free-kick at the far post but he placed his header wide.

Ferriby finally got the goal they deserved in the 18th minute. Ryan Williams won the ball twenty-five yards in his own half. He advanced a couple of yards then placed a superb 50-yard pass into the path of Danny Clarke. Clarke's cross-shot bounced off the inside of the far post and Wilson was on hand to force home from close range.

It was 20 minutes before Nantwich managed a shot on target with Kyle Wilson shooting straight at Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby were shocked three minutes later when Nantwich equalised against the run of play. The ball found its way from the left to Sean Cooke whose shot seemed to be going straight through to Nicklin before it took an unlucky deflection off Liam King to leave Nicklin wrong-footed.

Kendall then went close before Nantwich took an undeserved lead in the 30th minute. Simon Everall was allowed to run down the left-wing, cut in and fire past Nicklin without any significant challenge.

This knocked Ferriby off their game for a few minutes but they rallied and equalised on the stroke of half-time. Gregg Anderson's header from midfield evaded the defence and Wilson pounced to slide the ball past Town keeper Jon Brain for a deserved equaliser.

Ferriby started the second-half as they had finished the first. The winning goal came after 47 minutes when Wilson found Kendall whose close-range seemed to have been saved by Brain but the ball slipped out of his hands and into the goal.

Nantwich were rocked by the goal and never really recovered. They did not manage one shot on target in the second half as Ferriby took control in midfield and won virtually every cross and tackle in defence.

Ferriby regularly pressed forward with Kendall, twice, Liam King and Wilson all going close.

This was an impressive performance who are stretched their unbeaten league run to 13 games.

In some ways this was a more comfortable win than the scoreline suggests. Ferriby's passing and attacking play had Nantwich on the back foot for large parts of the game.

Manager Billy Heath commented, "The only disappointment was conceding the two goals we did. However, I was pleased with his team's overall performance and we certainly deserved to win."


NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Steve Ridley, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson (Jack Muldoon 76), Ryan Kendall (Chris Bolder 88),  Ryan Williams. Non-playing subs: Ben Hunter, Mark Gray,  Antoni Pecora, 

Nantwich Town: Jon Brain, Zack Foster, Christian Smith (Caspar Hughes 86), Mat Bailey, Rod McDonald, Sean Cooke, Fraser McLachlan (Niall Maguire 75), Simon Everall, Kyle Wilson, Lewis Short (josh Lane 63). Non-playing subs: Darren Moss, Lyndon Campbell

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors