Marine 1 NFU 1 (NPL P )

Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division
Marine  1                      North Ferriby United     1           

Ferriby gained a good and well-deserved point at Marine. The result is even more creditable  because The Villagers finished with 10-men following the 78th minute dismissal of Dan Norton for a second-yellow card.                             

Both games started the game edgily and misplaced passes became a feature by both sides throughout the game.          

It was Ferriby who had the first opportunity after nine minutes. Dan Norton was fouled just inside the area but Jamie Forrester’s penalty was well saved by Martin Fearon diving to his left.

Two minutes later, Fearon defied Forrester again when he parried his 25-yard drive.

The game was not exactly end-to-end but both sides had their little periods of pressure.  From one attack, Marine were awarded a penalty. This time it was Lewis Exall’s chance to save when he went to his left to deny Danny Mitchley.

Luke Lofts was enjoying a good performance in midfield and he shot narrowly wide after 28 minutes before putting in a low cross that Norton touched wide.

Marine never really created anything more than half-chances. Jack Mail and James Piercey were solid at the back and Ben Leyland dis good work on the left.

Tony Donaldson was a threat in midfield for Marine, partly because he was often given too much space.

Given the lack of opportunities from either side, it was a bit of a surprise when Ferriby took the lead after 42 minutes. Lofts made a short run before firing home a low shot just inside the right-hand post.

On chances, The Villagers deserved their half-time lead.

Marine went up a gear in the second-half  but it was Norton who almost scored the first goal of the half with a shot at Fearon.

Marine gradually began to take a degree of control but still managed little more than half-chances. Donaldson continued to be at the heart of many of their attacks as they pushed forward.

Mitchley saw a shot defelected for  corner from which Exall and Piercey scrambled the ball off the line. It was close shave for Ferriby but it epitomised their effort and attitude.

David Webb, whos caused problems with dead-ball situations, curled a free-kick just over the bar then saw Exall turn a 25-yard free-kick over the bar.

Perhaps the pivotal moment of the game came after 78 minutes. Norton burst in to the area and was challenged as he was about to shoot. Ferriby players thought it was a clear penalty but the referee thought otherwise and cautioned Norton for simulation. Unfortunately it was Norton’s second caution so he was dismissed.

As often happens in these situations, the free kick led to Marine’s goal. They moved the ball forward and Josh Hine’s cross was met first-time by Craig Carney who hammered home from 10 yards. Exall had no chance.

Marine flung everything at Ferriby after that as they looked for a winner. However, Mail, Piercey and Exall were tremendous in the centre of the defence. Exall’s puncing at crosses was confident and effective.

Despite the pressure, Marin e were still limited to half-chances.

Ferriby threatened very little in the second=half, perhaps sitting back a bit too much and allowing Marine too much space.

Manager Chris Bolder was in good spirits after the game’

“ We have to take as many positives as we can from that performance.  With so many of our players not having played at this level I think we would have settled fro a point before the game.

“In the first half I think we probably shaded it and had the better opportunities. In the second-half they went up a gear and forced us back.

“Lewis was outstanding and he will take a lot from that. They really did chuck everything at us. WE defended with our lives and it is pleasing that we defended with grit and determination.

“Luke Lofts has that bit of extra quality and he showed that with his goal. His work ethic was good, including defending when they had the ball.

“It’s going to take a few weeks and games to get used to the standard at this level.

“The sending-off was harsh to my mind because I thought it was a penalty and, as often, happens they go down to the other end and score.

“Overall though, Paul and I are happy with the performance and it gives us all something to build on in coming weeks.

This was clearly a massive learning experience for Ferriby’s relatively inexperienced squad but they can take heart from gaining a point at a ground where it always difficult to do so.


NFU: Lewis Exall,  Joe Lamplough (Ben Clappison 74),  Ben Leyland, Jamie Forrester, James Piercey, Jack Mail,  Dan Norton, Eddie Rogerson, James Nichols (Josh Walker 80), Luke Lofts,  Kent Bannister (Alex Knox 62) Sub not used : Johnny Saltmer, Charlie Dunkerley;

Marine: Martin Fearon, David Webb, James Short, Louis Coyne, Chris Doyle, Kenny Strickland (Gerard Kinsella 45),  James Murray (Josh Hine 68), Tony Donaldson, Danny Mitchley, Dom Reid, Craig Carney. Subs not used: Andy Hollins, Conor Ready, Liam Davies

Our Sponsors