Lincoln City 0 NFU 4 (FAT 3)

FA Trophy 3rd Round
Saturday 11 January 2014

Lincoln City  0  North Ferriby United 4
 Scorers: NFU: Liam King 25, 90; Ryan Kendall 43; Nathan Jarman 70pen

This was a magnificent performance by Ferriby as they controlled their higher-placed opponents to reach the last eight of the FA Trophy for the first time.

Ferriby’s dominance was such that Lincoln’s fans were streaming out of the ground well before the final whistle.

Jon D’Laryea controlled midfield with his astute passing that enabled Ferriby to continually press forward, especially down the wings through Danny Clarke and Jamie Yates. Ferriby’s back-four of Dean Lisles, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone an Nathan Peat plus keeper Adam Nicklin were solid at the back despite a stream of high balls into the area that presented Lincoln’s only real threat. Nathan Jarman and Ryan Kendall made life difficult for Lincoln’s defence throughout the game.

Lincoln had most of the possession in the opening two or three minutes but failed to create ny opportunities. Ferriby responded with a cross that was cleared just before Yates could reach it. Yates then saw a low 20-yard drive drift wide.

Liam King caused all sorts of problems with his runs from midfield and he saw a low shot turned one-handed for a corner by Paul Farman. 

Nicklin did well to punch away a cross under pressure on his own goal-line. Lincoln’s only other serious attempts in the first-half came from a Bohan Dixon shot and a Nick Wright header that both went to Nicklin.

Ferriby increased their control and took the lead after 25 minutes. D’Laryea controlled  Peat’s throw-in and turned inside to feed Liam King who took the ball on before scoring with a low shot.

A three man move ended with Jarman’s shot being tipped over by Farman.  Hone saw a header go just wide before Farman was in action again to punch Jarman’s cross-cum-shot from under the bar.

Ferriby doubled their lead after 43 minutes. Defender Nat Brown and Farman lift the ball to each other and Kendall nipped between to stroke the ball home. The goal was no more than Ferriby deserved and seemed to take the heart out of Lincoln.

Lincoln came-out after half-time and attempted to take game to Ferriby but they could make little headway against Ferriby’s defence and midfield. The Imps were constantly hassled and harried and forced into errors. Kendall and Jarman put their defenders under pressure and also forced a large number of errors. Nicklin held a header from Luke Foster then parried a long-range shot.

 Ferriby responded with a King shot that came back off the bar before clinching the game in the 70th minute. Farman pushed a shot beyond the far post and as Nathan Jarman latched on to the loose ball he was pulled-down by the keeper. Jarman sent Farman the wrong way from the spot.

Lincoln now looked a well-beaten team and thir fans made their displeasure known.

Liam King’s second goal in added time put the icing on the cake for Ferriby. Clarke’s 25-yard drive was parried by Farman and King responded quickly to score from close-range.

Manager Billy Heath was thoroughly delighted with the win, “It was a superb performance. Everybody played their part to a man. I thought before the game that we could win but I never dreamt it would be by such a score-line. Four-nil did not flatter us; we were well worth it.”

This has to be one of the best results in Ferriby’s history, not only for the result but for the way in which it was achieved against a side that is full-time.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Jon D’Laryea, Ryan Kendall (Russell Fry 90), Nathan Jarman , Jamie Yates
 Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Paul Robson, Matt Wilson, Tim Taylor

Lincoln City: Paul Farman, Tom Miller, Luke Foster, Nat Brown, Sean Newton, Todd Jordan (Jake Sheridan 66), Jon Nolan, Bohan Dixon (Mamadou Fofana 45), Conner Robinson, Nick Wright (Danny Rowe 45), Ben Tomlinson. Subs not used:Dan Gray, David Preece


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors