Hyde FC 1 NFU 2 (FAT 1)

 FA Trophy 1st Round
Saturday 30November 2013

Hyde FC 1   North Ferriby United  2

Scorers: NFU: Nathan Jarman 1pen; Danny Clarke 25
Hyde: JJ O’Donnell 3

Ferriby had to work hard to win this game against Conference Premier side Hyde. It is the first time that The Villagers have beaten a Conference Premier side. Ferriby showed the greater determination in an entertaining and competitive game.

The Villagers got off to a great start. Liam Tomsett pulled down Nathan Jarman in the area in the first minute. The striker took the penalty himself and sent keeper Lawrence Vigouroux the wrong way to score in the corner.

The home side were level two minutes later. New signing JJ O’Donnell  picked-up a loose ball in midfield and his 40 yard half-volley dipped just under the bar.

The game continued at a frenetic pace and Liam King almost put Ferriby ahead after ten minutes but his angled shot after rounding Vigouroux was cleared off the line by Luke Ashworth.

The game continued from end-to-end but both sides struggled to create clear opportunities. Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin made a fine diving save to turn Adam Thurton’s shot round the post. Ferriby had a bit of luck shortly afterwards when Gregg Anderson’s clearance bounced back off the bar.

Ferriby regained the lead after 25 minutes with a goal that was every bit as spectacular as O’Donnell’s. Clarke fired-in a high shot from the right corner of the penalty area and the ball dipped over Vigouroux and went in off the far post.

Hyde kept pressing but failed to create any chances despite their pressure. Ferriby’s defence remained firm under pressure. Ferriby did counter-attack and caused some problems to Hyde’s defence. Vigouroux did well to claw away a Jamie Yates’ cross-cum-shot that was dipping in at the far post.

 Hyde started the second-half looking for the equaliser but Nicklin was equal to efforts from Alex Brown andLiam Tomsett.

Hyde had much of the territorial advantage but they became increasingly dependent on long-balls aimed towards Scott Spencer who was a threat throughout. Ferriby defended with a high line and constantly harried Hyde in midfield. High balls into the Ferriby area were confidently dealt with by Nicklin and Ferriby’s defence, Anderson and Danny Hone in particular. Paul Robson and Nathan Peat dealt with threats down both wings as Hyde became increasingly frustrated.

Anthony Wilson came close to a third goal for The Villagers but his angled shot went narrowly wide. As the game headed towards its close, Nicklin again produced two good saves from Spencer.

This was a determined and committed performance from Ferriby. The game was hard and physical but this is a Ferriby side that is prepared to dig deep when circumstances require them to do so.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath was delighted with the result, “Once again the players produced a superb team performance. They put us under a lot of pressure in the second-half but we defended superbly. Sometimes, especially away from home you have to put in a performance that is not always pretty. We did that today, got the result and that is what matters.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Danny Hone, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke (Jon D’Laryea45), Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson Ryan Kendall (88), Nathan Jarman, Jamie Yates Subs not used: Antoni Pecora,Ben Hunter, Louis Bruce

 Hyde FC: Lawrence Vigouroux, D’Arcy O’Connor, Adam griffin, Will Haining (David Poole 80), Luke Ashworth, Liam tomsett, Adam Thurston (Connor Hughes 45), Alex Brown, Scott Spencer, JJ O’Donnell, Adam Blakeman.(Danny carlton 45) Subs not used: James Kirby, Jake Pollard

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors