Harrogate Town 5 NFU 0 (Skrill N)

The Skrill North

Harrogate Town 5   North Ferriby United 0

The score-line flattered Harrogate who taught The Villagers a harsh lesson. Defensive errors cost Ferriby dearly in a game in which Town keeper Craig McGillivray was justifiably named man of the match.

Ferriby twice went close in the early stages. McGillivray saved well from Russ Fry the Anthony Wilson saw a shot cleared off the Harrogate line.

Ferriby were incensed with Town’s first goal in the thirteenth minute.. Danny Hone went down in the six yard box as a corner came in and was kicked unconscious following a kick on the head. Surprisingly, the referee allowed play to continue and the ball eventually reached Leigh Franks who fired-home from close range. Hone required treatment for five minutes before he could be taken off and substituted. The resulting changes in defence were to prove Ferriby’s undoing as the game progressed.

This spurred Ferriby and Danny Clarke’s dangerous cross was cleared inside the six-yard box. McGillivray mad an outstanding diving save to keep-out a Liam King header.

At the other end, Nathan Peat cleared Frank’s header off the line in what was Town’s only serious threat until just before half-time.

Ferriby had most of the game. Gregg Anderson headed wide and Jamie Yates shot at the keeper as Ferriby pressed for the equaliser.

Chris Hall doubled Harrogate’s lead after 42 minutes when Franks headed-on a cross and Hall headed home unchallenged.

Ferriby did not deserve to go in two down at half-time. They were the better team and had most of the play. A combination of some desperate defending, luck and some good goalkeeping denied Ferriby the goal they deserved.

Town sealed the game after 48 minutes. Dominic Rowe beat Paul Robson on the right and slid the ball past the advancing Adam Nicklin. Hall immediately pounced on another defensive error but Nicklin produced a fine save.

Ferriby never gave-up pressing with Anthony Wilson and Nathan Jarman both going close. McGillivray produced a good save from Fry then saved a header from Anton Brown, his own player. Wilson and King both drew saves as the came continued.

Town’s fourth goal came against the run of play a Craig Nelthorpe latched on to the ball after Gregg Anderson misjudged its flight. Nelthorpe’s cross was touched home by Rowe at the far post after 76 minutes.

Rowe should have made it five but Nicklin saved well in a one-on-one situation.

Tommy Wright completed the scoring after 88 minutes with a turn and shot from the edge of the area.

The score-line was hard on Ferriby but on the plus side they created many chances and on another day would probably have score four or five themselves.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “Danny’s injury obviously disrupted our line-up but in the end we paid the price for defensive errors. Mistakes at this level are punished and we have learnt a hard lesson today. That said, we created plenty of chances and their keeper had a great game.”

Harrogate Town: Leigh Franks 13; Chris Hall 42; Dominic Rowe 48, 76; Tommy Wright 88
Attendance: 442


NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone (Dean Lisles 18), Danny Clarke (Ryan Kendall 69),  Russell Fry (Jon D’Laryea 66), Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman, Jamie Yates. Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Louis Kirk

Harrogate Town:Craig McGilivray, Matt Bloomer, Dave Merris, Adam Bolder, Leigh Franks, Shane Killock, Ashley Worsfold (Liam Hardy 74), Anton Brown (Adam Nowokowski 80), Chris Hall (Tommy Wright 80), Craig Nelthorpe, Dominic Rowe. Subs not used: Alan White, Dwayne Samuels




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors