Guiseley v NFU (SN)

Skrill North
Saturday 22nd March 2014

Guiseley 1 North Ferriby United  0
Guiseley: Gavin Rothery 10

This was a frustrating afternoon for Ferriby who lost top spot in the Skrill North following a somewhat undeserved defeat.

A missed penalty, a string of missed chances and a man-of-the-match performance from Gusieley keeper Steven Drench summed-up Ferriby’s afternoon. The game was highly reminiscent of the defeat at Harrogate Town earlier in the season.

The Villagers’ Nathan Jarman went close twice in the first five minutes but it was Guiseley who took the lead after 10 minutes. A free-kick found Wayne Brooksby free on the left. He fed Gavin Rothery who placed a low shot just inside Antoni Pecora’s right-hand post.

Danny responded witha Danny Clarke that went wide. Pecora then didi well to take a low cross in the goal area before saving Adam Boyes’ low shot.

Play continued to switch from end to end and Drench made a double save from Clarke Nathan Jarman.
Kevin Holsgrove rounded Danny Hone and Pecora but Mark gray was covering and managed to clear the shot-cum-cross.

Danny Emerton’s neat cross was met by Jarman who headed over as Ferriby looked for the equaliser. They thought they had it after 38 minutes but Emerton’s “goal” was ruled off-side

The half finished with Pecora blocking a shot from Boyes.

If the first-half had been fairly even in terms of possession and territory, the second-half was mainly The Villagers. Guiseley only serious goal threat was a header from Danny Ellis that flew over the bar.

Ferriby put the home goal under constant pressure but they lacked luck in the penalty area. Shots seemed to go directly to Drench or were blocked and cleared by some desperate defending.

Russ Fry saw a shot blocked and Drench grabbed Anthony Wilson’s header at the second attempt as Mark Gray was about to pounce on the loose ball.

Ferriby had great chance to equalise after 67 minutes. Ben Parker was sent-off for a foul on Jamie Yates in the area. Jarman hit the penalty well but Drench flung himself full-length to push the ball away.

Clarke, King, Jarman and Hone all went close for Ferriby but it was not going to be their day.

Whilst the result was disappointing and undeserved on the play, this was not a bad performance from Ferriby. They created enough opportunities to score and on another day would probably have scored three or four.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a good performance but it has just been a frustrating day. We had chances but their keeper played well and earned them their win. We will re-group for Tuesday’s game at Workington and look to put the pressure back on Telford.”

NFU: Antoni Pecora, Paul Robson (Ryan Kendall 90) Josh Wilde, Liam King, Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman Danny Emerton (Jamie Yates 43)
Subs not used: Ryan Ramsden, Lewis McMahon, Nathan Peat,

Guiseley: Steven Drench, Andy Holdsworth, Ben Parker, Danny Hall, Danny Ellis, Jake Lawlor, Wayne Brooksby, Danny Boshell, Adam Boyes, Kevin Holsgrove (Rhys Meynell 69), Gavin Rothery  Non-playing subs: Danny Forrest, Michael Potts, Alex Johnson Steve Dickinson

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors