Guiseley 2 NFU 3 VCN

Vanarama Conference North
Tuesday 21 April 2015

Guiseley     2        North Ferriby United   3

Ferriby certainly deserved this win against a Guiseley side that had already qualified for the play-offs. The Villagers gave their best performance since Wembley.

The game will be remembered for Tom Denton’s second hat-trick of the season. All three goals came from his feet, a slap in the face for those who criticise him for only being able to use his height and score with his head.

The first 15 minutes belonged to Guiseley as they pressed forward. A good move in the second minute saw Jack Stockdill drag his shot wide but the opening goal came a minute later. Adam Boyes was played through with space and time to round the advancing Jonathan Hedge before hitting the ball home.

Given recent results,  this was not the opening that Ferriby wanted. They responded with a shot from Liam King that was held by Guiseley keeper Steve Drench.

Guiseley continued to press forward with quick attacks using the pace and strength of Boyes, in particular. A 60-yard move ended with Nicky Boshell firing just over the bar. Two minutes later the same player hit a 25-yard shot wide.

For all their pressure, Guiseley actually found it difficult to get another shot on target.

The Villagers began to play themselves back in to the game after 20 minutes and had the better of the half from that point on.

Denton was unlucky after 22 minutes when his low shot was fumbled by Drench who was relieved the ball go out for a corner. From the corner, Mark Gray’s header was cleared off the line and Ryan Kendall curled a shot wide.

Boshell should have doubled Guiseley’s lead after 23 minutes but he lobbed the ball wide in a one-on-one with Hedge.

With Ferriby getting on top, Danny Clarke produced a diving save from Drench. Guiseley looked dangerous on the break and former Ferriby player Wayne Brooksby hit a low cross straight across the six-yard box just ahead of the in-rushing Boyes.

The Villagers got a deserved equaliser on 35 minutes. Clarke’s 30-yard shot was spilled by Drench and Denton was on hand to score from close-range. Five minutes later it could have been two for Ferriby. Clarke’s neat pass found Jason St Juste who rounded Drench on the right edge of the area. He chipped the ball towards the goal only to see home skipper Andy Holdsworth somehow manage to get across to head the ball for  corner.

The half-time scoreline was a fair reflection of the half.

The second-half was somewhat different. Ferriby had by far the better of the half and forced Guiseley backwards for long periods. Ferriby’s defence was strong in this game with almost none of the tentative play that has been in evidence in recent games. The midfield battled for everything and won most of the midfield challenges, thus denying Guiseley many opportunities to break forward.

That said, Boshell brought a diving save from Hedge two minutes in to the half. Ferriby responded with a Kendall shot that was deflected for a corner. When the corner was not properly cleared Danny Lowe tripped Gray in the area to concede  a penalty. For once, Liam King hit the ball low to Drench’s right and the keeper managed to produce a good save.

Three minutes later it looked as if Ferriby would rue the miss. Good work by substitute Oli Johnson on the right saw his cross converted by an unmarked Boyes.

Ferriby were not deterred and lifted their game. Kendall and Denton both went close before Denton equalised after 61 minutes after a shot ad been blocked and the rebound fell to him.

Guiseley immediately made a double substitution, including taking off Boyes. The substitutions proved costly in terms of numbers as Danny Ellis had to go off injured after 65 minutes, leaving Guiseley to finish the game with ten men.

This allowed Ferriby to take more control of the game and Guiseley were constantly forced backwards rather than being able to press forward.

Good work from  Bateson saw him unselfishly lay-off to Denton  who completed his hat-trick with another close-range goal after 75 minutes. Kendalll almost added a fourth but his shot on the turn went narrowly over the bar.

Guiseley made a late rally with Brooksby hitting a free-kick at Hedge then Liam Dickinson blasted a free-kick narrowly wide deep in to added time.

There is no doubting that Ferriby deserved this win. It was a committed and controlled performance that denied Guiseley time and space.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “I’m really pleased with this performance. We certainly deserved the win. Guiseley are a good side but we forced them back and denied the space to attack for large parts of the game.

“We may only have one game left now but we still need to win it to finish the season on a high note.”

NFU: Jonathan Hedge, Sam Topliss, Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Mark Gray, Matt Wilson, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry (Adam Bolder 79)  , Tom Denton, Ryan Kendall, Jason St Juste (Curtis Bateson 60)
Subs not used: Nathan Peat, Tim Taylor, Tom Nicholson,

Guiseley: Steve Drench, Andy Holdsworth, Danny Lowe (Jordan Hendrie 62), Jake Stockdill,   Danny Ellis, Jake Lawlor (Oli Johnson 56)., Wayne Brooksby,  Danny Boshell, Adam Boyes (Ryan Toulson 62) , Nicky Boshell, Liam Dickinson Non-playing subs: Alex Johnson, Steve Dickinson 

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors