Guiseley 2 NFU 0 (POSF 1L)

Skrill North Promotion semi-final 1st leg
Tuesday 30 April 2014

Guiseley2  North Ferriby United  0
Guiseley: Adam Boyes 37; Oli Johnson 49

The scoreline was rather harsh on Ferriby who matched Guiseley in virtually all areas of the game. A competitive and fairly even first-half saw The Villagers go in at half-time a goal behind.

 The Villagers actually played the better football and actually managed more goal attempts and won more corners than the home side. Unfortunately, despite the pressure that Ferriby exerted, especially in the second-half, they had little luck in and around the penalty area.

Guiseley’s attacking plan was to launch the ball forward for Adam Boyes and Oli Johnson to win in the air and chase a tactic that led to both of Guiseley’s goals.

 The first half-chance fell to Ferriby in the first minute when Ryan Kendall’s low cross-cum-shot just evaded the in-coming Liam King. Guiseley’s approach plays the percentages in terms of beating the off-side trap. On two occasions players seemed to come back from off-side positions to play the ball. The first saw Johnson shoot wide. The second saw Boyes fire wide as he raced through in a one-on-one with Adam Nicklin.

The next threat from either side came in the 16th minute when Adam Nicklin did well to save from Johnson .Ferriby came back in to the game and exerted the greater pressure in the final 20 minutes of the half. Nathan Jarman headed wide and Ryan Kendall saw an overhead-kick blocked

Mark Gray and Matt Wilson were generally defending well in the centre of defence. However, in the 37th minute,  a long ball from keeper Stephen Dickinson was flicked-on by Johnson to Boyes who slid the ball past Nicklin as he came out to narrow the angle.

As the half closed Liam King twice headed at Dickinson and in-between Jarman was desperately unlucky to see his angled shot hit the bar and bounce over.

The half-time score was harsh on Ferriby who really did not deserve to be behind.

As the second-half opened Jarman drew a save from Dickinson. Shortly after, another long clearance from the keeper reached Johnson on the left. He outpaced Mark Gray before cutting-in and firing past Nicklin to double Guiseley’s lead.

Ferriby were undeterred and Danny Emerton saw a shot blocked whilst Danny Clarke had another effort deflected for a corner.

Guiseley continued with their long-ball approach which saw Boyes shoot wide before Johnson drew a good save from Nicklin.

To Ferriby’s credit, they kept pressing for a goal. Emerton, King and substitute Anthony Wilson all went close. Ferriby had the better of the final 15 minutes but did not enjoy the bounce of the ball.

This tie is far from over and Ferriby will believe that they can overcome the deficit and gain a place in the final against Altrincham or Hednesford.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It is obviously a disappointing result and it was also disappointing to concede the goals in the way we did. However, the tie is far from over. We had a number of players carrying injuries and that always makes it hard. We will assess all of them over the next couple of days. We have a difficult task on Saturday but the players have the ability and character to win through.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Josh Wilde, Liam King, Mark Gray, Matt Wilson, Danny Clarke (Dean Lisles 70), Russell Fry, Ryan Kendall (Anthony Wilson 60),  Nathan Jarman, Danny Emerton, Subs not used: Gregg Anderson, Antoni Pecora Nathan Peat,

Guiseley: Sephen Dickinson, Andy Holdsworth, Danny Hall, Danny Ellis,Jake Lawlor, Wayne Brooksby, Danny Boshell, Adam Boyes (Kevin Holsgrove 86), Oli Johnson (Michael Potts 76), Gavin Rothery Non-playing subs: Rhys Meynell, Ryan Williams, Connor Crossley

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors