Guiseley 1 NFU 2 (NL)

National League
Saturday 25 February

Guiseley  1   (Will Hatfield 13)
North Ferriby United  2 (Reece Thompson 57; Jake Skelton 87)

A tremendous second-half performance saw Ferriby do the double over Guiseley and claim a vital three points in the relegation battle.

The win saw The Villagers climb off the bottom of the table.

The first-half was fairly even in terms of territory and possession with limited goal-mouth action. Guiseley looked dangerous in early attacks but did not really trouble Rory Watson in the Ferriby goal until they scored in the thirteenth minute. Will Hatfield hit an 18-yard low shot through a crowded penalty area and just inside Watson’s right-hand post. That was either side’s first on-target effort.

Both teams misplaced passes, perhaps due to anxiety and the importance of the game to both sides.

Preston and Simon Walton were bossing midfield and pushing Guisley forward but to limited effect. Danny Emerton and Curtis Bateson tried to get Ferriby attacking and Reece Thompson was a big threat with his pace.

Matty Dixon came close to an equaliser with a low shot that went narrowly wide.

Watson denied Preston a goal on the stroke of half-time with affine on-handed save to a high shot.

Ferriby came out all guns blazing in the second-half. Thompson saw a low cross-shot hit the inside of the post and bounce into home keeper Jonathan Maxted’s hands. It looked as if it was going to another one of those luckless days for Ferriby.

Bateson then saw Maxted push a shot over for  corner. However, Ferriby were not to be denied. Thompson hit a superb shot from 25 yards that moved with the wind and left Maxted totally flummoxed and stranded after 57 minutes. It was a fair reward for both Thompson and Ferriby.

There was little of note until the 70th minute when Guiseley’s skipper Danny Lowe was sent-ff for apparently pushing Thompson’s face into the ground following a foul on the striker.

As often happens in these situations the 10 men took a grip on the game and threatened Watson’s goal on a number of occasions and missed some good opportunities. Ferriby’s back four of Ben Middleton, Mark Gray, Jake Skelton and Sam Topliss were solid and made few errors.  Robbie Tinkler and Taron hare started to make more in-roads in to Guiseley’s midfield.

It was Skelton who scored the winning goal after 87 minutes. Topliss’s free-kick reached Skelton 16 yards out and his low shot on the turn found the left corner of the net.

Steve Housham was obviously a happy man after the game,
“I thought we were the better team throughout, especially in the second-half. It was a massive three points.. It was also a tremendous performance from the players.

Stampyand myself told players at half-time we needed to ask more questions of Guiseley. We pushed Taron Hare further up and this paid dividends. We scored two good goals from some distance.

We need to build on this starting with Woking next week.”

NFU: Rory Watson,  Sam Topliss, Mark Gray (Ryan Kendall 84), Ben Middleton,  Jake Skelton, Taron Hare, Matt Dixon, Robbie Tinkler, Curtis Bateson, Reece Thompson (Sam Cosgrove 90+2) Danny Emerton (Ross Armstrong 89),
 Subs not used: Matty Templeton Jordan Cooke

Guiseley: Jonathan Maxted, Connor Brown, Dannny Lowes, Jake Lawlor, Will Hatfield, John Rooney, Michael Rankine (Kevan Hurst 64), Jordan Preston (Elliott Green 73) Marcus Williams. Simon Walton, Jake Cassidy (Adam Boyes 83),   
Subs not used: Javan Vidal, Joel Logan,


Our Sponsors