Gateshead 0 NFU 1 (NL)

Tuesday 13 September
National League


Gateshead  0


North Ferriby United 1  (Rreece Thompson 49)



Attendance:  614

This was a deserved win for Ferriby who out-thought and out-fought Gateshead. The win was The Villagers first in five games and their first away points of the[i]season.

Not many had given Steve Housham’s side much chance of even a point from high-flying Gateshead but they reckoned without a fine performance from The Villagers.


Housham changed his formation and played five across the back with three in midfield. It was a formation that frustrated Gateshead. The home side generally looked comfortable on the ball when they had time and space but once they got in to the Ferriby half they were constantly  hassled and harried Connor Oliver, Danny Clarke and Simon Russell and this affected  the quality of their final pass. The back five and keeper Rory Watson were resolute and strong and made few errors.


This was a really good performance from Ferriby who showed high levels of concentration throughout the game.


The contest between Reece Thompson, who ran himself in to the ground up front for Ferriby, and home keeper Sam Johnson started in the first minute. The keeper was out quickly to take the ball pff Thompson’s feet as the striker tried to get control to score.


Gateshead managed a couple of shots from distance before Connor Oliver saw his goal-bound shot deflected in to Johnson’s arms.


Gateshead pressed but were generally kept to long-range efforts that went close but did not really trouble Watson.

Danny Clarke hammered in a 25-yard shot that Johnson parried. Unfortunately the ball reached Thompson too quickly and he did not have time to control it.


On half-time, Thompson fired in to the side-netting.


The Villagers got off to a flying start in the second-half. Oliver’s fine through-ball allowed Thompson to shrug off a defender before scoring from what seemed an impossible angle.

Most of the scoring attempts after this came from Gateshead but, like the first-half theyr were largely forced to shoot from distance. Watson only had one fairly comfortable save ubtil the final few minutes.

Ferriby did regularly force Gateshead back and the home side’s defending was frequently rushed and lacked composure.

Substitute Gus Mafuta forced Watson in to a great one-handed save. The ball fell to Reece Styche who put his shot on to the bar.

An equaliser would have been somewhat unjust to Ferriby after such a gutsy and professional performance.

Housham commented,

“It’s a relief to get the first away win. But what is more pleasing is the way we achieved it. We had a plan and we kept to it.

“I’ve been constantly reminding the players that we have to improve our concentration levels and we did that tonight.

“ We can’t get carried away about one result and we need to try and build on that at Dagenham on Saturday. “

NFU: Rory Watson , Ben Middleton, Sam Topliss , Taron Hare, Mark Gray, Jake Skelton (Danny Emerton 64), Danny Clark, Connor Oliver, Reece Thompson Ryan Kendall 70), Conner Robinson  (Ryan Fallowfield 79)  Simon Russell ,

Subs not used: Vinny Mukendi  Ross Armstrong (

Gateshead: Sam Johnson, James Bolton (Adam Wrightson 76),, George Smith, Manny Smith, Liam Hogan, Wes York, Mitch Brundle, Sam Jones (Danny Johnson 45),  Reece Oates (Gus Mafuta 45),, Reece Styche, Paddy McLaughlin

Subs not used: Dan Hanford, Luke Hannant



Our Sponsors