Gainsborough Trinity 3 NFU 0 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North

Gainsborough Trinity   3    North Ferriby United    0
Gainsborough: Jonathon Margetts  14; Tom Davie 62; Curtis Bateson 90+2

Attendance: 556

Whilst the 3-0 scoreline may have been rather harsh on The Villagers, they could not complain about the result.

Ferriby paid the price for defensive lapses as Gainsborough made the most of their limited opportunities. Ferriby lacked any real cutting edge and home keeper Jan Budtz did not really have a serious save to make.

This was something of a strange game as, in many ways, it was a rather uneventful affair. Neither keeper was seriously threatened until final minute.

Possession was fairly even throughout the game with both sets of strikers getting little change from both defences.

Ferriby opened with a Nathan Jarman shot going straight to Budtz who held the ball comfortably.

Former Ferriby player Tom Davie headed over and Jonathon Margetts fired wide as Gainsborough exerted some pressure. The opening goal came after 14 minutes. A misplaced header found Curtis Bateson on the right and his cross in to the area was turned home by Margetts.

As the half continued, Ferriby had more attempts at goal but most shots were blocked or missed the target. Adam Bolder and tom Denton saw shots taken comfortably by Butz.

The Villagers played some good approach football but they really lacked a cutting edge and were really limited to half-chances.. Too often, the ball would not drop for Ferriby, allowing Gainsborough to clear.

In many ways, the second-half was a repeat of the first. Neither side seriously threatened and it needed errors to create Gainsborough’s two other goals.

Ferriby opened quite brightly with Jarman’s shot being saved by Budtz. Shortly after, Denton was unlucky with a header that went narrowly wide.

Gainsborough doubled their lead after 62 minutes. Nicklin parried Margett’s shot but the ball was cleared only as far as Tom Davie who scored from 10 yards.

Both teams struggled to really create goal-scoring opportunities as the half progressed. However, Matt Dixon should have added  a third for Gainsborough but shot over when well-placed.

Liam King finally drew a save from Budtz in the 89th minute as The villagers looked for  late goal. However, it was not to be and Bateson compounded Ferriby’s misery in the second minute of added time. Bateson fired a shot from 18 yards that slipped through Nicklin’s hands and over the line.

Ferriby will be disappointed with the result but Gainsborough showed the importance of making the most of your chances.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “This was probably the worst performance since I became manager. We were well below our best today. I’m obviously disappointed. I’ll not take anything away from Gainsborough, they took their chances and deserved to win.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Jamie Yates (Nathan Peat 45), Josh Wilde, Liam King,  Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Adam Bolder (Russ Fry 73), Jon D’Laryea (Ryan Kendall 56), Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Jason St Juste.  Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Gregg Anderson

Gainsborough Trinity: Jan Budtz, Dom Roma, Tom Davie (Danny Forrest 78),  Charlie Binns, Chris Salt, Jake Picton, Curtis Bateson (Grant Roberts 90),  Ciaran Toner, Jonathon Margetts (Paul Beesley 87),  Matt Dixon, Josh Lacey. Subs not used: Linton Karkach, Ward Wisdom-Lockwood


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors