Frickley Athletic 1 NFU 3 (PSF)

Pre-season Friendly
1 August 2015
Frickley Athletic  1  North Ferriby United  3

NFU:  Tom Denton 16; Nathan Hotte 36; Curtis Bateson 72
Frickley Athletic: Zeph Thomas 33

Ferriby finished their pre-season preparations with a hard-fought at Frickley Athletic. The Villagers deserved victory but were made to work hard by a spirited Frickley side.

Neither keeper was seriously troubled in the first 15 minutes as both sides managed little more than a couple of off-target efforts between them.

The first on-target effort of the game almost saw Ferriby take the lead after 16 minutes. Ash Palmer’s header reached Nathan Hotte whose clever shot hit the post to be scrambled away for a corner. From Adam Bolder’s corner Tom Denton stole in unchallenged to the edge of the six-yard box to powerfully head home. It was no more than Ferriby deserved as they had had slightly more possession without actually taking control of the game.

The game became largely a midfield affair with threatening attacks few and far between. Frickley equalised after 33 minutes. Luke Hinsley had a shot charged down by Russ fry on the edge of the area. The clearance was picked-up by Frickley’s Luke Hornsey who burst forward before releasing Zeph Thomas to place the ball through the advancing Adam Nicklin’s legs. it was just reward for Thomas who was Frickley’s most threatening player.


Ferriby responded well and regained the lead after 36 minutes. Danny Emerton’s cross saw Denton’s header saved by keeper Sam Leigh.  However the ball bounced to Hotte who fired home from close range.

Thomas almost equalised on the stroke of half-time after he capitalised on a defensive mistake but his shot was saved by the advancing Nicklin.

The second-half was played in intermittent heavy rain and this made the surface difficult for the players.  Goal attempts were even fewer in the second-half than in the first but Ryan Kendall wasted a golden opportunity to put The Villagers 3-1 ahead after 53 minutes. The striker was fouled in the penalty area, got up to take the penalty but saw it well-saved by Leigh diving to his right.

Ferriby had the greater possession and Nicklin and substitute keeper Tom Nicholson did not have a shot to save.

Curtis Bateson was unfortunate after 60 minutes after a mazy run saw him hit his shot to the keeper. An Emerton corner saw the ball reach Adam Bolder whose shot was tipped over by Leigh.

Ferriby finally doubled their lead after 72 minutes. Macauley Parkinson’s back-pass was intercepted by Bateson who was left with a simple chance to place the ball past Leigh.

This was a competent performance by Ferriby. At times the passing was too casual and this was the cause of a a large number of Frickley’s attacks. Overall the defence and midfield looked solid and Tom Denton was a handful up front for Ferriby.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a tough game, as we knew it would be. I’m pleased in the result and we now have a week with no games to prepare for next Saturday’s opening game at Tamworth.

“We have two training sessions this coming week as Mark and I decide on the squad for Tamworth. “

NFU: Adam Nicklin (Tom Nicholson 65), Ben Middleton,  Josh Wilde (Louis Bruce 45),  Adam Bolder, Ash Palmer, Danny Hone (Mark Gray 45), Danny Emerton (Jamie Forrester 72), Russell Fry  (Tim Taylor 62), Tom Denton  (Ryan Kendall 45),  Nathan Hotte (Ross Armstrong 61),  Curtis Bateson

Frickley athletic: Sam Leigh, Macauley, Parkinson,  James Kay,  Luke Hinsley , Luke Jeffs, Jameel Ible, Brad Riley (Tyler Williams 68), Luke Hornsey, Zeph Thomas, Chris Wood, Brad Dockerty (Reece Jackson 50). Subs not used: Lee Stratford, Ryan Smith, Connor Griffin, Jack wheat, Louis Penny



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors