National League North

27 February 2016

Reporter: Phil Withers

FC United of Manchester     North Ferriby United         (Half-time: FCUM  0   NFU  1 )

Scorers FCUM: Matthew Wolfenden 52, 70; Craig Lindfield 90+2
Scorers NFU: Liam King 18 pen; Tom Denton 89

Attendance: 3419

Ferriby looked to have a snatched a point with Tom Denton’s 89th minute goal but slack defending allowed Craig Lindfield to score an added-time winner. In all honesty, The Villagers cannot really complain about the result as they put-in a below-par performance, especially in the second-half.

The result saw Ferriby drop to 4th place in the national League North table. Fortunately for The Villagers, only Nuneaton of the top five clubs won.

The opening minutes of the game looked promising for Ferriby and Ash Palmer appeared to have headed them in front in the second minute but the goal was disallowed as Danny Clarke was penalised for a foul on  keeper Dave Carnell.
Ferriby had the better of the half in terms of possession and territory. However, Carnell did not have to make a save of any note and it was to be a fairly similar story in the second-half.

The first 15 minutes saw Ferriby had two shots blocked as they struggled to create opportunities.

Despite a lack of possession, the hosts should have taken the lead after 15 minutes but George Thompson headed wide from close-range when well-placed.

Three minutes later The Villagers took the lead. Liam King sent Carnell the wrong way from the penalty spot after Nathan Hotte had been bundled over in the corner of the area.

Ferriby really should have been able to build on this against a side that is struggling at the wrong end of the table but only managed a Wayne Brooksby header on target during the rest of the first-half. Nathan Hotte hit a good chance wide and that was the limit of Ferriby’s threat.

The only real incident of note after Kink’s penalty was the need for referee Peter Wright, who injured his shoulder in a fall,  to be replaced by assistant referee Mark Doherty

The whole game was a fast and furious affair with plenty of strong but generally fair challenges from both sides.

If Ferriby had the better of the first-half, the second certainly belonged to the home side. They pushed The Villagers back from the beginning. They were stronger in more of the tackles and were first to the ball on many occasions.

Ferriby did not help themselves with a large number of mis-placed passes. It is probably fair to say they did not always get the bounce of the ball but you have to make your own luck and today was not to be one of those days.

The Villagers paid the price for some poor defending. The equaliser came after 52 minutes. Adam Nicklin dived to push Tom Greaves’ low shot towards the far post where Matthew Wolfenden reacted more quickly than the Ferriby defenders to score from close-range.

Clarke and Curtis  Bateson both hit shots wide and high, respectively. At the other end Tom Brown and Greg Daniels both fired wide.

FCUM’s second-goal came after 70 minutes. A high ball was played in and Nicklin looked to have it under control but it spilled from his grasp to give Wolfenden a simple tap-in.

Ferriby came more in to the game but despite managing five on-target shots, they did not really trouble Carnell.

With the game looking lost Tom Denton’s persistence saw him equalise in the 89th minute. His first shot was saved by Carnell but Denton responded quickly to hit home the rebound.

Ferriby really should have been able to close out the final few minutes but their usually reliable defence slipped-up again. A low ball in from the left reached the unmarked Craig Lindfield who scored with his first touch after coming on a substitute.

Manager Billy Heath commented,
“ We concede three poor goals today. That said, we should have been able to close-out game after our equaliser and keep a point. We are struggling for a win at the moment but on the positive side, none of the top five are being that consistent. We will just keep going and re-group for Tuesday’s game at Stalybridge.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton, Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Ash Palmer, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke (Ryan Kendall 61), Wayne Brooksby (Danny Emerton 51)  , Nathan Hotte (Tom Denton 71), Adam Bolder, Curtis Bateson.  Subs not used: Mark Gray, Russell Fry

FC United of Manchester:  Dave Carnell,  Liam Brownhill, Chris Chantler Scott Kay, Tom Eckersley,   Tom Brown (Adam Thurston 87)  ,  Matthew Wolfenden (Jerome Wright 78), Harry Winter, Tom Greaves, George Thompson, Greg Daniels  (Craig Lindfield 90). Subs not used: Dylan Forth, Matthew Walwyn







Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors