FC United of Manchester 1 v NFU 1 (Evo Prem

Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division

FC United of Manchester 1 North Ferriby United 1  

Ferriby regained their four point lead in the Evostik Premier Division with a determined and skilful performance at promotion rivals FC United of Manchester

A draw was probably a fair result in and and-to-end and entertaining game in which clear opportunities were limited at both ends due to some good defensive work. A bobbly pitch also made passing and control difficult at times.

The first chance to FC's Mike Norton but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Ferriby's first threat came after 12 minutes> Anthony Wilson was pulled down by home keeper James Spencer as he chased a misplaced back-pass. The referee ruled that the ball would have gone out of play so did not send-off Spencer. Ryan Kendall hit the penalty confidently low to Spencer's right to give Ferriby the lead.

Liam King almost doubled the lead seven minutes later. He broke through but Spencer blocked his shot. King slipped the rebound to Wilson who shot wide.

FC's response saw Norton have a shot kicked away following Jerome Wright's corner.

The first 30 minutes were blighted by home players constantly arguing with the referee over decisions that went against them.

Wilson broke through shortly before half-time but a challenge from a defender saw the ball break to the keeper.

FC United equalised just on half-time. A long ball found Norton surrounded by defenders. Somehow the ball reached Tom Greaves who scored from close range.

Wilson almost regained the lead for Ferriby after 48 minutes when a hasty clearance bounced off him and slid past the post

FC United then had the better of the second-half but were mainly forced to shoot from distance due to some determined defence from Ferriby.

Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin saved well from Greaves before Kendall's35 yard shot forced a hurried parried save from Spencer. A defender hooked the ball clear as Wilson raced-in for the rebound.

Wright saw a dipping 20 yard shot go over the bar. In added time Nicklin made a fine save from substitute Rhodri Gigg's 15 yard drive.

This was a good all-round team performance from Ferriby. Nicklin and his back-four were solid and the midfield and strikers closed-down and harried FC's midfield.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath said; "This was a really good performance. We competed well against a good team. I thought we were the better team in the first half and they had the better of the second. A draw was a fair result in the end."

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Paul Foot, Ryan Williams (Oliver Banks 90), Russell Fry,  Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall (Gary Bradshaw 72) Steve Ridley (Chris Bolder 69) Non-playing subs: Steve Gardner Antoni Pecora 

FC United: James Spencer, Kyle Jacobs, Lee Neville, Dave Birch, Adam Jones, Dean Stott, Matthew Wolfenden (Rhodri Giggs 88), Jake Cottrell, Mike Norton (Greg Daniels 89), Jerome Wright (Matt Walwyn 90), Tom Greaves Non-playing subs: Astley Mulholland, Samuel Fitzgerald

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors