Curzon Ashton 0 NFU 3 (NLN)

Vanarama National League
Saturday 14 November
Curzon Ashton v North Ferriby United

Curzon Ashton 0

North Ferriby United 3
Liam King 21, 51; Sam Topliss 81

Att: 362

Ferriby deservedly won a game that was played in constant rain throughout. On an already very wet pitch, conditions became more difficult for both teams.

Considering he conditions, this was an entertaining game. Curzon played most of the game with ten men after Ryan Brooker was sent-off after 23 minutes for a high challenge on Josh Wilde. The Villagers were already 1-0 ahead by this point.

The first quarter of an hour saw each keeper have to make a single save. Curzon’s Hakan Burton saved with his legs from Danny Emerton. At the other end, Tom Nicholson produces a flying fingertip save to deny Matthew Warburton.

Ferriby took the lead after 21 minutes. Danny Clarke held-up the ball on the edge of the area before releasing Liam King who advanced and slid the ball past Burton.

Two minutes later the referee had no hesitation in showing a red card to Brooker for his challenge on Wilde. This served to make Curzon’s task more difficult but they continued to play some good passing football throughout the game.

Both teams attacked when the opportunity presented itself but the underfoot conditions made it difficult to turn and judge passes.

There were no really clear cut chances at either end with most shots going wide or high of the target.

As half-time approached, Ashton’s Joe Guest hit a shot straight at Nicholson.

Thanfully, the torrential rain which was forecast for around half-time never materialised. Had it done so, it is doubtful that the match would have been played to a finish.

The Villagers doubled their lead in the 51st minute Josh Wilde’s high ball into the Curzon penalty area caused problems. The ball eventually fell to King who fired home his fifth goal in three games.

Adam Bolder saw Burton save a shot at the second attempt as Ferriby had control but were not overly threatening near goal.

Ashton struggled to create opportunities when they did press forward and it was 71 minutes before Nicholson had to produce a save.

Curtis Bateson and Clarke had shots blocked before Sam Topliss clinched the game for Ferriby. Tom Denton’s header released Danny Emerton on the left and his cross to Topliss was hit home first-time.

Topliss was denied a second goal when his effort was ruled out for off-side against Clarke who was moving away from the goal and the ball and did not seem to be interfering in any way.

Curzon launched a brief assault in the final five minutes as they searched for a consolation goal. They forced Nicholson in to two saves but could not find a way through.

Ferriby defended very well in the conditions with the back-four rarely putting a foot wrong i testing conditions.

Manager Billy Heath commented,

“This was a fantastic performance. This has been a big week for us. Three wins in eight days, two away from home is excellent.

 “More chances in difficult conditions. We were not perhaps at our best but we got a very good win.

It was also good to come away from the two away games with clean sheets.

The sending-off may have been a turning point. However it is often more difficult to play against 10 men as they tend to re-organise themselves and put everybody behind the ball.

We’ve climbed up to fourth and gained points on most of the teams around us so it wraps up a good week.”

North Ferriby United: Tom Nicholson, Ben Middleton (Louis Bruce 67), Josh Wilde, Liam King, Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry (Adam Bolder 63),  Tom Denton, Danny Emerton, Curtis Bateson  (Sam Topliss 78), Subs not used: Ryan Kendall, Nathan Hotte

Curzon Ashton: Hakan Burton,  Matthew Flynn (Andrew Watson 89), Connor Hampson (Michael Norton 73),,  Jonathan Hunt,  Daniel Shaw,  Joe Guest,  Ryan Brooke,  Chris Rowney, Niall Cummins, Matthew Warburton, Liam Tomsett. Subs not used: Cameron Mason,  Ben Atkinson, Tom Eckersley



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors