Corby Town 1 NFU 4 (NLN)

Vanarama National League North
5 March 2016

Corby Town  1               North Ferriby United   4                   
Scorers: Corby: Greg Mills 7
NFU: Wayne Brooksby 1; Tom Denton 5, 34; Curtis Bateson 86

Attendance: 469

This much-needed win saw Ferriby climb up to third in the National League North and dumped their hosts on to the bottom of the table.

The Villagers got off to a blistering start and were two ahead within five minutes. Adam Bolder’s first-minute free-kick reached Danny Hone who laid the ball off to Wayne Brooksby who scored from close-range.

Four minutes later Liam King put a cross in to the six-yard area and poor communication between keeper Sam Donkin and a defender saw the ball fall to Tom Denton to stroke the ball home.

Within two minutes Corby had pulled a goal back. Duane Courtney’s long throw-in was partially cleared to the unmarked Greg Mills who hammered the ball in from 18 yards.

There was little of note for the rest of the first-half as Ferriby largely controlled the game. Mills and Ryan Robbins hit two tame shots at Adam Nicklin. At the other end, Liam King saw a goal-bound shot blocked just inside the area.

Nathan Hotte fired narrowly wide with a shot on the turn but it was something of a surprise when Denton increased Ferriby’s lead after 34 minutes. Brooksby had a shot blocked and the ball reached Ben Middleton on the right. His deep cross was met at the far post by Denton who found the net with a downward header.

The scoreline was no more than The Villagers deserved on the balance of play.

Corby played some good football at times but they also made too many unforced errors. That said, Mills missed a great chance after 41 minutes when his low shot clipped the far post and went-out for a goal-kick.

Ferriby controlled the second-half and always looked the likely winners. King, twice, and Denton went close. Nathan Hicks dragged a shot wide for Corby in their only real attempt on goal of the half.

The result was more or less sealed after 67 minutes when Anton Brown was sent-off for a reckless challenge on Wayne Brooksby.

The final quarter of the game was all Ferriby’s. King drew a full-length save from Donkin who turned the ball for a corner. Shortly after, Brooksby ghosted past four defenders and, having done the hard work, blazed over the bar.
The final goal came after 86 minutes. Brooksby’s run and pass from midfield freed Curtis Bateson on the left. He cut in and his low shot to the near post ended up in the goal. The goal was no more than The Villagers deserved.

This was a controlled and professional performance from Ferriby and sends out a warning to their promotion rivals that the fight for a play-off spot will go the end of the season.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It’s obviously good to get a win again. We controlled the game and deserved to take all the points. It was a good all-round team performance. The difference between today and recent games is that we managed to take our chances. Our energy levels were good today.

“It’s still tight at the top of the table and we just have to take every game one at a time and concentrate on our own performances rather than what our rivals are doing.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton, Josh Wilde (Sam Topliss 90),  Liam King Ash Palmer, Danny Hone, Nathan Hotte, Wayne Brooksby, Tom Denton (Ryan Kendall 88),  Adam Bolder (Russell Fry 81),, Curtis Bateson: Subs not used:), Mark Gray, Danny Emerton

 Corby Town:  Sam Donkin, Ellis Myles, Kalern Thomas, Duane Courtney, Edi Appleton,  Anton Brown, Greg Mills, Cleveland Taylor (Massiah McDonald 45), Nathan Hicks (Liam Marshall 77),  Ben Milnes, Ryan Robbins (Danny Draper 69).  Subs not used: Michael Ogilvie, Nathan Evans,




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors