Colwyn Bay 0 NFU 3 (SN)

Skrill North
Saturday 5 October 2013

Colwyn Bay 0 North Ferriby United   3
Scorers: NFU: Anthony Wilson 6, 53, 90+2

Striker Anthony Wilson will make the headlines after his hat-trick in Ferriby’s thoroughly deserved win at Colwyn Bay. However, this was a strong all-round team performance that sees Ferriby retain fourth place in the Skrill North.

Frank Sinclair, Bay’s experienced player-manager and a former FA Cup winner with Chelsea, was given a torrid time by Wilson. The striker used his control, strength and pace to outplay Sinclair  throughout the game.

Ferriby got off to a bright start that matched the glorious sunshine and took the lead after just six minutes. Danny Clarke’s deep cross found Yates. His shot was blocked by a defender but the ball fell to Wilson who hammered the ball past home keeper Chris Sanna from 12 yards.

Shortly after, Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin did well to parry a shot and the rebound was fired in to side netting.

The Villagers played some good football in the first 20 minutes as the home side struggled to get in to the game. Clarke saw his low shot well-saved by Sanna then Nathan Jarman fired a snap-shot over the bar.

The game then drifted somewhat as both teams tended to by-pass midfield by playing long-balls. Consequently, there were few opportunities at either end, Colwyn should have equalised after 39 minutes.Nicklin beat away Rob Hopley’s shot. The ball fell to Cameron Darkwah who hit the post with the goal at his mercy and the ball rebounded into Nicklin’s hands. Just after this, Hopley’s cross was headed just wide by Jamie Matthews.

The second-half was virtually all Ferriby. He half opened with a Jarman header from a Yates’ cross taken by Sanna. However, the second goal was not longed delayed. In the 53rd minute Wilson sprung the off-side trap to control Nathan Peat’s long pass and slide the ball past Sanna.

Liam King and Russ Fry controlled central midfield and their distribution constantly freed Clarke, Yates, Jarman and Wilson to make life difficult for bay’s defence.

Ferriby’s back-four of Dean Lisles, Gregg Anderson, Matt Wilson and Peat barely put a foot wrong in the second-half. Such was their dominance that Bay had only two goal-scoring chances. Mid-way through the half Nicklin saved with his feet as Darkwah burst through and then in the 90th minute Nicklin comfortably held a Hopley header.

A teasing Yates cross was headed over by defender danny Taylor from almost under his own cross-bar.

Sanna beat Wilson to clear a through-ball to Liam King who shot over from 35 yards with the keeper well out of position. Anderson headed over a Yates corner as The Villagers continued to pressure Colwyn.

As the game went into added time Wilson and Sanna wre again the centre of the action. Wilson was unlucky to see his header go narrowly wide as he headed over the advancing keeper. However, Wilson was not to be denied his hat-trick. In the second minute of added time Wilson cleverly lobbed Sanna as the keeper came out to the corner of the area to close down the striker.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a great performance today. It was a long trip and that always makes games a little more difficult. We played some really good football in the first 20 minutes and were excellent in the second-half. We played well in all departments of the team and we certainly deserved to win.”

Ferriby were the better team for virtually the whole of the game and the win and score-line were both well merited.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke (Ben Hunter 63), Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman Jamie Yates Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Mark Gray, Jon D’Laryea, Louis Kirk

Colwyn Bay: Chris Sanna, Danny Taylor, Mike Lea, Danny Meadowcroft, Frank Sinclair, Ed Moss (John McKenna 61), Gareth evans, Jamie Matthews (Jamie Ellison 55), Rob Hopley, Charlie Joyce (Steve Connor 74), Cameron Darkwah. Subs not used: Daniel East, Louis Moss

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors