Cleethorpes Town 1 NFU 2 (FAC 2Q)

FA Cup Second Round Qualifying
Saturday 27 September 2014

Cleethorpes Town 1
Jack Barlow 31

North Ferriby United  2  
Lawrence Heward 33(own goal); Nathan Jarman  55

Ferriby deserved this win but it was never a comfortable victory against a determined Cleethorpes side.

Ferriby started brightly with Liam King shooting at keeper Brad Beattie, Tom Denton heading against the bar and Danny Hone seeing a header deflected wide.

Town had a couple of long-range efforts blocke. For Ferriby, Russell Fry headed wide, Nathan Jarman shot narrowly wide and Dan Clayton fired at Beattie.

After 24 minutes Jarman saw a shot blocked and on the break Louis Grant fired straight at Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin.

King should then have put Ferriby ahead in a one-on-one with Beattie but the keeper blocked the shot.

Cleethorpes took the lead after 31 minutes. Nicklin came out of his area to clear but only as far as Jack Barlow who stepped inside before chipping home from 20 yards despite the efforts of Gregg Anderson and Danny Hone to head clear from under the bar.

The lead lasted just two minutes. A lack of communication between Beattie and Lawrence Heward saw the centre-back head into his own goal past the advancing keeper.

Cleethorpes grew in confidence but they struggled to offer any threat on goal and Ferriby almost took the lead with Beattie saving one-handed from Clayton.

Ferriby upped the tempo in the second-half. Adam Bolder and Fry controlled midfield as The Villagers constantly pressed forward. King was denied by a  good blocking tackle from Richard Peck.

Such was Ferriby’s control, that Cleethorpes only had one serious attempt on goal with Marc Cooper firing a shot at Nicklin after 60 minutes.

By this time, Ferriby had taken the lead. Nathan Jarman took the ball on the edge of the area, turned a defender  and stepped across another before firing low inside Beattie’ left-hand post.

Ferriby pressed for the rest of the game with Cleethorpes limited to occasional attacks. Good defensive work by the home side limited Ferriby’s chances. Beattie made a diving save  from  Fry’s free-kick, got down well to a Denton header before denying Jarman with another diving save.  
 This was not a comfortable victory for Ferriby in terms of the scoreline but the margin should have been greater. Credit to man-of-the-match Beattie for keeping Cleethorpes in the tie

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was always going to be a difficult but we got the result we wanted. We created a lot of chances and should have scored more. “

Cleethorpes Assistant manager Dave Smith commented, “I was really pleased with the way the team played today. It was a good performance but in the end it was Ferriby’s greater organisation that settled the game.”

Cleethorpes Town: (4-2-4 ) Brad Beattie, Luke Mascall (Matthew Coleman 68)  , Daniel Grant, Richard Peck (Lee McFarland 58)  , Lawrence Heward,  Darren Hanslip, Brody Robertson, Alex Flett, Marc Cooper, Louis Grant (Jonathan Oglesby 58) Jack Barlow. Subs not used: Jack Richardson, Jack Debnam,

NFU: (4-2-4) Adam Nicklin, Louis Bruce,  Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone,  Josh Wilde, Liam King, Adam Bolder, Russell Fry, Dan Clayton (Tom Corner 88), Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, 
Subs not used: Matt Wilson, Tom Nicholson, Nathan Peat, Jon D’Laryea, Mark Gray

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors