Chorley 1 NFU 0 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North
Tuesday 9th September 2014

Chorley 1 North Ferriby United 0

Scorers:  Chorley: Jack Dorney 15

Depite going down to a third successive defeat, this was an encouraging performance from Ferriby. The Villagers were desperately unlucky not to score on a number of occasions. The fact that Chorley keeper Sam Ashton was named man-of-the-match sums-up Ferriby’s evening.

Ferriby had the better of the opening 15 minutes. Nathan Jarman drew a good one-handed save from Ashton who then blocked Russell Fry’s follow-up shot. Gregg Anderon drew another good save from |Ashton before Liam King fired over from 18-yards.

Chorley had not really threatened. Adam Nicklin cleared following a goalmouth scramble and shortly afterwards he saw a clearance charged down by Jack Dorney.

In the 15th minute Ferriby had a corner that was cleared downfield. The ball beat Nathan Peat and Dorney ran on unchallenged to calmly place the ball past Nicklin. The goal was totally against the run-of-play.

The goal lifted Chorley and they enjoyed a short spell when they were on top. Even so, they could not create any clear-cut chances and Ferriby played themselves back in to contention.
Matt Wilson’s on-target shot was deflected to Ashton who then got down well to save Tom Denton’s 18-yard drive.

Ferriby had two good penalty claims turned down. The first was a handball and Jarman then had his legs taken from underneath him.

The half closed with Ferriby largely in control but on the stroke of half-time Nicklin had to save a header from Andy Teague.

Ferriby continued to have the greater possession in the second-half and, once again, had more goal attempts than Chorley. The home side had only two attempts on goal in the half, both in the first 11 minutes. Nicklin blocked a Dorney shot then made a flying save from Adam Roscoe’s 25-yard shot.

Ferriby played some good ground football but were not making many clear-cut chances. Similarly with the headers and lay-offs from Tom Denton. This all changed in the final 10 minutes.

Dan Clayton’s header went off Jarman for a goal-kick. Tom Denton headed a Fry free-kick at Ashton before the keeper made a superb double save in the 85th minute. First, he blocked Denton’s shot and saved Jarman’s follow-up. A minute later, Ashton made the save of the evening to deny Denton’s header.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a good performance and we created plenty of chances. We are not having the best of luck in front of goal but we can take confidence from the performance.” 

There was disappointment with the result but not with the overall performance. The Villagers were desperately unlucky to return home empty-handed. They created far more goal-scoring opportunities and enjoyed the greater possession. They mixed their game with good passing moves and longer balls aimed at Denton and this made them difficult to defend against.

Ferriby will be hoping for better luck on Saturday when they travel to Colwyn Bay for another testing game.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat (Josh Wilde 52), Liam King Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Jon D’Laryea (Tom Corner 73), Russell Fry, Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman,  Dan Clayton
Subs not used: Danny Hone,  Antoni Pecora,  Tim Taylor

Chorley: Sam Ashton, Kyle Jacobs, Adam Mather,  Andy Teague, Tom Smyth, Adam Roscoe, Josh Hine (Mark Ross 57),  Dale Whitham, James Dean, Jack Dorney (Paul Jarvis 88), Darren Stephenson (Chris Almond 69),. Subs not used: Aaron Grundy, Jack Lynch,

Philip Withers Contact number: 07737623138




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors