Buxton 2 NFU 1 (FAT 2Q)

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round

Buxton 2 North Ferriby United  1 

Ferriby were their own worst enemies in this defeat at Buxton. In a game of very few chances to either side The Villagers gifted two goals to the home side that eventually proved costly.

Ferriby started more brightly than Buxton and could have gone ahead in the first minute. There was an almighty scramble in the Buxton penalty area as the ball bounced around but it did not fall for a Ferriby player to get in a shot.

Ferriby had the edge for the first 20 minutes but did not manage to create any clear scoring opportunities. Buxton's closest attempt at goal was a Lee Morris overhead kick that went wide.

Russell Fry's cross was met but Jack Muldoon but his header was deflected for a corner.

Dean Lisles was in action at each end. First, his last-ditch tackle dispossessed Mark Reed when it looked like the striker would score. Immediately afterwards Lisles hit a 20-yard drive straight at home keeper Ian Deakin. This was the only goal-bound effort that either team had on target in the first half.

Ferriby's midfield did a good job of closing down Buxton but struggled to create chances on a very uneven pitch that better-suited Buxton's more direct approach.

The second half again provided few chances. It was something of a surprise when Buxton took the lead after 59 minutes with their first on-target effort of the game. Michael Towey was left unmarked to place a header inside Adam Nicklin's right-hand post.

Nicklin then had to be quick to save at Reed's feet as the striker advanced on goal.

Ferriby equalised after 78 minutes. Liam King's header was superbly saved by Deakin for a corner. Chris Bolder rose to head home Ben Hunter's cross for a deserved equaliser.

The game seemed to be drifting for a draw when Ferriby gifted the winner to Buxton six minutes from time. An almighty mix-up between Russell Fry and Nathan Peat saw the ball fall to Kieran Lugsden who was left with a simple tap-in.

The result was harsh on Ferriby. In a game of almost no chances, Two mistakes cost them dearly but they also suffered due to the lack of goal-scoring opportunities and shots on target.

Manager Billy Heath commented, "I'm obviously disappointed with the result. We gave them two"free" goals and that is not usually like us."

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Chris Bolder, Steve Ridley, Mark Gray,  Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Jack Muldoon (Ben Hunter 73), Ryan Kendall,  Ryan Williams(Liam King 69). Non-playing subs: Tim Taylor, Sam Belcher, Antoni Pecora, 

Buxton:   Ian Deakin, Grant Black, Kevin Sandwith, Steve Istead, Kallum Keane, Marc Roberts, Neil Stevens, Michael Towey, Mark Reed, Lee Morris (Kieran Lugsden 61), Scott Maxfield. Non-playing subs:  David Haggerty, Jack Bradbury

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors