Bradford PA 1 NFU 1 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North
Monday 17 November 2014

Bradford Park Avenue 1
Ryan Qualter 17

North Ferriby United  1 
Mark Gray 74
(HT: BPA  1 NFU  0 )

Att: 301

Ferriby rescued a point with a late goal in a drab game on a damp night in Bradford. Both sides struggled with a heavy and uneven pitch and the game rarely sparkled.. On such a poor pitch it was difficult to play consistent ground football and both sides struggled to create clear goal-scoring opportunities.

Bradford played most of the second-half with 10 men following Nathan Hotte’s red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. However, Ferriby played the five minutes of added time with 10 men. The Villagers had used all their substitutes when Louis Bruce had to go off injured.

Ferriby will rue Nathan Jarman’s penalty miss after Hotte’s dismissal but Bradford will feel that they could have won the game but for Richard Marshall’s 90th minute strike rebounding off the post.

The first-half saw only one shot on target from each side as neither keeper was seriously threatened. Both sides saw shots blocked around the edge of the area and both had shots off-target.

Ryan Kendall had the ball taken-off his toes by home keeper John Danby then Jamie Yates curled a free-kick to the keeper. These were the closest The Villagers came to a goal in the first-half.

Bradford took the lead on 17 minutes. Dan Clayton’s corner found Ryan Qualter unchallenged at the far post and he scored from close range.

In terms of excitement that was about it for the first-half. Bradford were regularly forced into hurried defending. In attack, they depended mainly on long-balls to Chib Chilaka and Danny Frost but they got little change from Ferriby’s defence.

In contrast, and despite the poor surface, Ferriby attempted to play down both flanks using Jamie Yates and Jason St Juste.

Ferriby had the better of the second-half until the final five minutes of added time. For all the early advantage, clear attempts on goal were still limited. In the 51st minute Danby made a double-save and with the third shot heading goalwards Nathan Hotte handled. The referee sent him off and awarded Ferriby a penalty.  Jarman fired low to Danby’s left and the keeper got down to block it. Kendall fired the rebound over.

Bradford rarely threatened. Joe Colbeck free-kick was headed wide by Qualter in Bradford’s only serious threat before added time.

A Bruce long-throw was dropped by Danby but such is Ferriby’s luck at the moment the ball landed at a defender’s feet and was cleared,

The equaliser The Villagers deserved came after 74 minutes. Mark Gray shot powerfully home after a ball was cleared to him.

In the 90th minute  Marshall’s shot hit the post and this signalled a final flourish from Bradford Marshall fired wide then Nicklin pushed a Joe Colbeck shot over the bar. From the corner, Qualter headed straight to Nicklin.

The draw may have been a fair result but it was a frustrating evening for Ferriby. Gregg Anderson was injured in the warm-up after cockling over on a poor part of the surface. All three wide defenders, Grant Black, Louis Bruce and Josh Wilde went off with hamstring injuries.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a poor game on a very poor pitch. To cap it off, we’ve picked-up a number of injuries.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Grant Black (Louis Bruce 34), Josh Wilde (Natan Peat 45), Liam King, Mark Gray, Matt Wilson, Jamie Yates, Jon D’Laryea Ryan Kendall, Nathan Jarman,  Jason St Juste (Bolder 67) Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Tim Taylor

Bradford Park Avenue: John Danby, Chris Howarth, Jamie Price, Jack Rea, Ryan Qualter, Dan Clayton (Richard Marshall 28), Joe Colbeck, Nathan Hotte, Chib Chilaka (Bradley Barraclough 85), Jordan Deacey, Danny Forest (Lamin Colley 73). Subs not used: Niall Heaton, Fernando Moke,

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors