Boston United 2 NFU 0 (SN)

The Skrill North
21 April 2014

Boston United 2   North Ferriby United 0

Scorers: Boston United: Jamie McGhee 70; Ricky Miller 80p

This was a disappointing day for The Villager as they slipped to second-place in the Skrill North. They are now a point behind leaders AFC Telford United. A win for Telford at home to Gainsborough on Saturday will see the Shropshire side take the title. If they drop points Ferriby could take the title with a home win over Brackley Town.

Ferriby were not quite at the best in this game which was highly important to both clubs. The win keeps Boston in the paly-off hunt and both sides could meet each other in the play-off semi-finals during the first week in May.

Ferriby had the greater possession and territorial advantage in a first-half in which both sides only managed one serious goal-bound effort. Boston played five men in midfield so it was not easy for Ferriby to find a way through. Both midfields harried and hassled each other and play was scrappy at times.

The first threat came after eight minutes with Boston keeper Lewis King taking the ball just ahead off Anthony Wilson. Russ Fry saw a shot blocked before King, again, thwarted Wilson.

 Boston’s only goal-bound effort was tame header from Carl Piergianni which was taken comfortably by Adam Nicklin. Shortly after, Nicklin did well to race out of his goal to clear from Jamie McGhee.

Keeper King denied Nathan Jarman a goal in th 24th minute when he turned the striker’s acrobatic volley for a corner.

Boston then had a short spell of pressure with Ricky Miller firing over before Nicklin produced a superb double save. First he blocked Millers’ shot then responded with great speed to block the second shot from Liam Agnew.

Ferriby finished the stronger of the twos sies with Danny Clarke heading wide and Jarman seeing his shot deflected for a corner.

The second-half opened +with Clarke and Russ Fry shooting wide before Boston responded with Miller missing a great close-range opportunity with only Nicklin to beat.

The game swung end-to-end but serious attempts on goal remained few and far between. King did well to turn a Wilson shot for a corner from which Danny Hone headed narrowly over.

Boston took the lead after 70 minutes. Junior Konadu’s low cross cauded confusion and indecision in the six-yard box before the ball fell to McGhee who hammered home from four yards.

Ferriby’s afternoon got worse in the 79th minute. The referee brushed aside Boston’s pleas for a penalty after a clash between Hone and Miller. With the ball still in play, Hone bent down to remonstrate with Miller and pushed him down as the striker attempted to get up. The referee was left with no choice but to award a penalty for this and send-off Hone for violent conduct. Miller sent Nicklin the wrong way with the penalty.

Up to this point, Ferriby seemed capable of at least getting an equaliser but two down with ten men and ten minutes left to play was too much to ask.

In some ways, Ferriby could have little complaint about the result. They struggled to create scoring chances and Boston took two of their own.

Depending on Saturday’s results, both sides could face each other in the play-off semi-finals.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a massively disappointing result Up to Boston’ssecond goal it always looked likely we get a point. However, we will re-group and go in to the game against Brackley knowing that a win will guarantee either the title or second-place.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson (Ryan Kendall 77), Nathan Peat, Liam King, Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson Nathan Jarman, Danny Emerton (Josh Wilde 59) Subs not used: Dean Lisles, Antoni Pecora, Matt Wilson

Boston United: Lewis King, Zak Mills, Rene Steer, Jay Dowie, Scott Garner, Carl Piergianni, Junior Konadu (Indy Ajula 59), Stefan Galinski, Ricky Miller (Spencer Weir-Daley 89), Jamie McGhee, Liam Agnew Subs not used: Ben Milnes, Ben Fairclough, Andy Hewitt,


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors