Boston United 0 NFU 2 (FAT 1R)

FA Trophy First Round Proper replay

Boston United 0  North Ferriby United  2
(Half-time:  Boston 0 NFU 0)

Scorers: NFU: Jason St Juste 72; Ryan Kendall 90+5

Attendance: 671

A superb performance from Ferriby earned The Villagers a 2-0 win and a home tie against Hyde in the next round of the FA Trophy.

The first-half was a close and entertaining affair with play constantly switching from end-to-end. However, neither goalkeeper was particularly busy.

it was 18 minutes before either side offered a real threat. Nathan Jarman curled a shot just over the bar. From the goal-kick the ball reached Boston’s Kaine Felix who saw Adam Nicklin push the ball away from. Nicklin reacted well to block Felix’s follow-up shot.

Ferriby responded with a good move between Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman and Jamie Yates. Unfortunately, Yates’ cross was inches away from the incoming Adam Bolder’s head.

The last significant threat of the half came from Boston with Nicklin pushing away Marc Newsham’s angled shot.

Ferriby played some neat and attractive approach football without creating many opportunities. Boston’s approach was a little more direct and was also to little effect.

The second-half saw Boston launch an almost non-stop onslaught towards the Ferriby goal. Many of their attacks ended with high balls in to the Ferriby area. Fr om open play Danny Hone and Mark Gray in the centre of defence pretty much won every aerial battle. From set-pieces, Nicklin and Denton also nullified any high balls.

The Villagers’ wide defenders allowed very little space to Boston’s attacks down the wings with Felix, in particular, having little joy.

Such was Ferriby’s defensive and midfield pressure that Boston did not force Nicklin in to any save in the half. Felix, twice, Newsham and Kyle Dixon all hit shots wide or high.

Ferriby opened the scoring after 72 minutes. A mistake allowed Jason St Juste to go down the left before cutting-in, rounding keeper Joel Dixon and slotting the ball open.

The goal stunned Boston but they still continued their aerial bombardment and played straight in to Ferriby’s strength.

Substitute Ryan Kendall sealed the win with virtually the last kick of the game, Again, it was another goal scored on the break as he ran on to Jarman’s pass to round keeper Dixon and slide the ball home.

Boston may argue that the goals were against the run of play but such was Ferriby’s defensive dominance they they denied Boston scoring opportunities and played the more purposeful football throughout.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a fantastic result. There is not much between the two teams and the game was always likely to be won by touch of genius or a mistake. The players showed there mental toughness and resilience, especially in the second-half as Boston really came at us.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Jamie Yates (Grant Black 45 (Nathan Peat 80)); Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Adam Bolder (Ryan Kendall 63), Russ Fry Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Jason St Juste Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Gregg Anderson,

Boston United: Joel Dixon, Zak Mills, Rene Steer, Kyle Dixon, Scott Garner, Carl Piergianni, Liam Marrs, Greg Tempest (Dayle Southwell 76) Marc Newsham, Mark Jones, Kaine Felix. Subs not used: Jamie McGhee, David Fallah, Michael Hollingsworth, Sam Vince

Ferriby play Hyde FC at home on Saturday 10h January in the next round.


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors