Barrow AFC 2 NFU 0 (SN)

The Skrill North
Saturday 8 February 2014

Barrow AFC 2  North Ferriby United  0 
Scorers: Barrow: Nick Rushton 11 pen, 81

Ferriby stayed top-of-the-table despite this defeat. The game was played on a very wet and heavy pitch which made it almost impossible to ply attractive football. A swirling wind and rain contributed to the difficulty for the players. Despite the conditions it was a fairly entertaining game.

The Villagers started brightly and Nathan Jarman went close twice in the first five minutes. Barrow responded with a Nick Rushton cross that eluded everybody as it flew low across the six-yard box.

Barrow took the lead after 11 minutes when Matt Wilson was harshly adjudged to have fouled Rushton in the area. Rushton scored from the spot-kick firing the ball to Adam Nicklin’s right. Shortly after, Liam King cleared a ball off the line following a goalmouth scramble.

Rushton was prominent in Barrow’s attacks and wasted a good opportunity following apoor back-pass to Nicklin.

Jarman, Nathan Peat and Jamie Yates all hit shots at home keeper Tony McMillan as Ferriby pressed for the equaliser.

With half-time approaching, Danny Hone made asuperb tackle to deny Rushton as he broke through.

Ferriby had most of the possession in the second-half but coul not make it count. Russell Fry fired wide then Danny Clarke burst in to the area. His shot was parried by McMillan before being hacked clear.

Hone, again, got the better of Rushton in a rare Barrow attack that provided any real threat. Substitute Ted Cribley latched on to a misplaced pass but fired wide.

Ferriby continued to press and McMillan did well to take the ball off Anthony Wilson’s following a well-placed Jarman pass.  Jarman then hit a Clarke cross well over the bat with Yates in a better position behind them

Barrow clinched the game after 81 minutes. Dean Lisles was unfortunate to slip as he turned to take a through ball and this allowed Rushton to take the pass, cut inside and shoot past Nicklin.

Ferriby’s misery was compounded after 86 minutes when Anthony Wilson was sent-off for an attempted head-butt on a Barrow player after Wilson had been fouled.

The game finished with Ferriby looking for a consolation goal and substitute Ryan Kendall twice went close.

Ferriby will be disappointed to have got nothing from the game as they had much of the possession and more goal attempts than Barrow.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a disappointing result, We didn’t really deserve to lose but goals change games. The penalty was a poor decision and it gave Barrow something to hang on to. However, we are still top and we dust ourselves down for Tuesday’s Senior Cup match against Chalk Lane.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke   Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman , Jamie Yates: (Ryan Kendall 76)
Subs not used): Antoni Pecora, Paul Robson, Mark GrayJon D’Laryea, 

Barrow: Tony McMillan, Andy Burns, Duran Reynolds,  Paddy Lacey , Danny O’Donnell, Robbie Williams, Sam Sheridan (Liam Willis 74), Richard Davies (Ted Cribley 64),,  Nick Rushton, Phil Marsh (Gareth Arnison 83), Mark Cowperthwaite. Subs not used: Alex Ray-Harvey, Dan Parkinson,


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors