Barrow 4 NFU 1 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North
Tuesday 14 April 2015

Barrow AFC 4    North Ferriby United  1

Scorers: NFU: Liam King 56 pen
              Barrow AFC: Dan Pilkington 17; Andy Haworth 52
                                    Ales-Ray Harvey 59; Izak Reid 90

Despite what the score may suggest, this was a better performance by Ferriby who made the leaders work hard for this victory. For much of the second-half, The Villagers played the better football. Barrow depended a lot on hitting long balls for their strikers and it was a tactic that paid off for them.

Not for the first time this season, Ferriby were left bemused by refereeing decisions that proved costly.

The Villagers played against a strong wind in the first-half and were pushed back by barrow’s use of the long-ball. Despite their territorial advantage, barrow had few serious attempts on goal. Andy Howarth hit a free-kick at Jonathan Hedge then Andy Cook had a shot blocked by Danny Hone.

The opening goal came after 17 minutes when Alex-Ray Harvey released Dan Pilkington on the left. Pilkington carried the ball forward before cutting into the penalty area and curling a shot past Hedge’s despairing dive.

Hedge did well to force Cook in to a weak attempt on goal in a one-on-one.

Ferriby’s solitary goal attempt came as ealy as the third minute when Danny Clarke’s shot was deflected for a corner.

The half-time score was a fair reflection of the half as Barrow had the greater possession and looked  somewhat more determined than Ferriby at times.

Ferriby gave a much more convincing second-half with some positive approach play but it was barrow who threatened first. Jason Walker found himself in space but was thwarted by a good save from Hedge.

Barrow doubled their lead after 52 minutes. A foul in the build-up went unpunished allowing Pilkington to burst down the right before crossing low to the unmarked Howarth who scored from close range.

Ferriby were desperately unlucky in the 54th minute when Barrow defender Andy McWilliams turned Jason St Juste’s low cross on to his own cross-bar.

Two minutes later Ferriby pulled a goal back. Niall Cowperthwaite, who had just been cautioned, brought down Josh Wilde in the area. Despite awarding the penalty, the referee kept his card in his pocket. Liam King hammered the penalty past Aaran Taylor.

Barroe restored their two goal lead on 59 minutes. Alex-Ray Harvey won the ball in the middle and ran on before Beating Hedge with a low shot from 18 yards.

Play switched from end-to-end with Harvey and Cook putting-in shots for Barrow whilst King and Clarke reciprocated for Ferriby.

The game was sealed in the 90th minute. Matt Wilson was barged in the back as he was about to play the ball but it was him who was penalised as he sought to regain his balance. Izak Reid curled a 20-yard free-kick past a poorly set-up wall. It was harsh on Ferriby.

Ferriby can take some positives from this game. Generally, they defended well and looked threatening going forward in the second-half. To a degree, luck was not with them in this game.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “We were beaten by the better team on the night. We had some opportunities to get back in the game at 3-1 but didn’t take them. I couldn’t fault my players commitment and attitude tonight. Barrow are probably the best side in the division.”

NFU: Jonathan Hedge, Sam Topliss, Josh Wilde, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke,  Russell Fry (Ryan Kendall 51) Tom Denton (Curtis Bateson 69), Jon D’Laryea, Jason St Juste, Jason St Juste
Subs not used: Adam Bolder Nathan Peat, Tom Nicholson

Barrow: Aaran Taylor, Niall Cowperthwaite, Andy McWilliams, Paddy Lacey,  Danny Livesey, Simon Grand, Andy Haworth, Alex Ray-Harvey, Jason  Walker (Marcus Carver 76), Andy Cook (Anthony Wilson 88), Dan Pilkington (Izak Reid 76). . Subs not used: Lewis Guy, Sam Sheridan, 




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors