Bamber Bridge 3 NFU 1 (Evo Prem 18-19)

 Evostik Northern Premier League
Premier Division

Tuesday 9 October 2018

Bamber  Bridge  3                     North Ferriby United 1
Brad Carsley 31, 79                  Luke Hinsley 60
Jamie Milligan 76 (pen)

The score-line may seem to indicate a heavy defeat but that is far from the case. Once again, The Villagers matched their opponents for periods of the game but they paid for lapses.

The Villagers may have been somewhat outplayed in the first-half but did gradually play themselves into it in the final 15 minutes of the half.   

The game opened with Joe Lamplough hitting an overhead kick wide before Lewis Exall produced a flying save to deny Andrew Howarth. After nine minutes, Ryan White curled a shot just over the bar from the corner of the penalty area. As Ferriby manager Chris Bolder said,

“We were shell-shocked in the first 10 minutes.”

Bridge began to take more control. They played an effective long-ball game with four front-runners who interchanged positions  throughout the game. They made life difficult for the Ferriby defence with their pace, mobility and strength.

Brad Carsley thundered a shot off the bar with James Williamson heading a follow-up shot off the line.

Ferriby managed three off-target efforts as the half progressed. This was partly due to never really having much control of the ball and generally losing out on second-phase ball. Bridge were generally stronger in the challenge, quicker to the ball and often seemed to have men in space to receive the ball.

Carsley put Bridge in front after 31 minutes. Haworth was able to play-in Carsley who had time and space to place the ball past the advancing Exall.

For all their pressure Bamber forced Exall in to making only one other good save. Other efforts from Danny Forbes, Darren McKnight and Alistair Waddecar went high or wide as Bridge looked to consolidate their lead.

The second-half was different story. Chris Bolder’s words to his players clearly struck a chord and Ferriby dominated the first 25 minutes. All of a sudden, they were quicker to the ball, passing was much improved and Bridge were struggling to keep The Villagers at bay.

The deserved equaliser came after 60 minutes. Jamie Forrester found Eddie Rogerson and his low cross was bundled home from close-range by Luke Hinsley.

Kent Bannister and Luke Hinsley both saw efforts hit the inside of the post and Kent Bannister also saw a header drop on to the top of the net with home keeper Oliver Byrne beaten. It could so easily have been 3-1 to Ferriby but soon after it was 3-1 to the home side.

Against the run-of-play, Rogerson’s challenge on Kieron Charnock saw the referee award a penalty which Jamie Flanagan dispatched comfortably. As on a number of occasions this season, one could question if the challenge was necessary with an attacker moving away from goal. It was frustrating for  Ferriby as the goal lifted Bamber.

Two minutes later they clinched the game. Flanagan’s quickly taken free-kick found Paul Dawson on the right and his low cross was hit home first-time by Carsley. Not for the first-time this season, The Villagers had been caught on the hop by aside that breaks quickly from defence.

So from almost being 3-1 ahead, The Villagers found themselves 1-3 behind. It was hard to take given how they had performed in the second-half.

There is a feeling that Ferriby will soon find a win or two. They are rarely outplayed but are punished heavily for errors.  It is easy to over-analyse goals that have been concede but Bolder was disappointed with the three concede in this game. Bolder and his players know the issues and everybody is working hard to deal with them.

Performances have certainly improved since the beginning of the season. Fewer mistakes are made but there still needs to be improved decision-making at both ends of the field.

Bolder was sanguine about the result,

“I think in the first half they were obviously the better side. We came up against a good side that rotated oppositions and we struggled to deal with that at times.

“We got them [the players] in at half-time and spoke about a few things and allocated roles and responsibilities to certain players and told them exactly what we wanted them to do. It worked to a t and for the first 30 minutes of the second-half it was all us. We hit the inside of the post twice and it didn’t quite fall for us. We landed a header on the top of the net with the keeper beaten. It could quite easily have been two or three one to us.

“They got into our penalty rarely on those opening 30 minutes of the second halfbut when they do they gain a soft penalty. The third goal came from a q quickly taken free kick and they catch us on the hop. I think all of their goals were soft from our point of view. We had a bit of luck in the first-half when they hit the bar.

“It’s fine margins. Goals change games. If we’d gone in front in the second-half we’d have said it was a great second-half performance. We picked-up absolutely everything in the second-half.

“I’ve got nothing but praise for the lads in the second-half. We have to take the positives from tonight. Nobody has chucked the towel in, no players are down and-out, we’ve not been well-beaten even if the score suggest that.”

NFU: Lewis Exall,  Dan Norton, Paul Robson (James Piercy 14),  Eddie Rogerson, Jack Mail, James Williamson, Kent Bannister Joe Lamplough (Jamie Forrester 59),  Luke Hinsley, Eddie Birch (Alex Bannister 76),  Luke Lofts Subs not used : Charlie Dunkerley

Bamber Bridge: Oliver Byrne, Paul Dawson, Chris Marlow, Matt Lawlor, Kieran Charnock (Jamie Milligan 64),, Alistair Waddecar, Danny Forbes, Brad Carsley, Andrew Haworth (Matthew Dudley 64 (Jordan Darr 70)), Ryan White

Subs not used: Chris Churchman, Macauley Wilson



Our Sponsors