Alfreton Town 1 NFU 0 (FAT1)

The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round

Alfreton Town 1

North Ferriby United  0


Ferriby tumbled out of The Buildbase FA Trophy at Alfreton. Overall, The Villagers could have few complaints because after a promising start they failed to seriously trouble Town’s defence. Most attacks ended with shots going wide rather than being on-target and forcing the keeper into saves.

There was little in the first-half of this cup-tie to get the crowd excited. Goalmouth action was in short supply despite some good approach work by both sides.

Ferriby had the better of the opening exchanges and went close twice in the first four minutes.

Curtis Bateson hit a low drive just wide from 25 yards before Kyle Wootton saw a shot turned round by keeper Fabien Spiess.

 Alfreton gradually came more in to the game and the middle twenty minutes  were fairly even. Town’s Craig Westcarr, an early substitute for the injured Brad McGowan, drew a comfortable diving save from Rory Watson. Two minutes later Westcarr hit a shot wide.

The introduction of Westcarr certainly lifted Alfreton and he was a major threat to Ferriby for the remainder of the game.

it was another twenty minutes before there was another goal attempt from either side; Bateson’s goal-bound shot was blocked by a defender.

The second-half provided more in the way of entertainment and it was Alfreton that carried the greater threat.

Reece Thompson and Wootton worked hard up-front but had little to show for their efforts. Steve Brogan curled a free-kick narrowly wide and Levi Sutton saw a shot deflected from a corner. Bu t. o be honest, Ferriby created little more than bits and pieces

Ryan Wilson and Westcarr were prominent in midfield and were at the heart of many of Alfreton’s attacks. Mark Gray and Taron Hare were solid at the heart of Ferriby’s defence.

Westcarr had two efforts on target before Wilson won the game with a goal in the 64th minute.
He latched on to a clearance to strike a stunning 25-yard shot past Rory Watson’s despairing dive.

Four minutes later it could have been two for the home side but Steve Brogan managed to scramble a header off the line.

Westcarr and Wilson continued to pose a threat and both had further goal attempts.

Ferriby displayed their usual spirit and endeavour but a lack of goals cost them once more.  They had their moments and did play some good approach football throughout the game but the continuing lack of goals is still a problem.

Manager Steve Housham commented,

“It was a disappointing result and a disappointing performance. We should have gone ahead in the first few minutes but we rarely looked like scoring after that.

“We matched them in the first-half. We defended well and battled hard but we created little more than half-chances.

“You just have to hold your hands when the opposition scores a goal like they did today. It was well-struck and well-taken.

NFU: Rory Watson;  Sam Topliss, Taron Hare,  Steve Brogan, Ben Middleton (Danny Emerton 69), Mark Gray, Ross Armstrong (Darryn Stamp 81), Levi Sutton,  Reece Thompson, Kyle Wootton, Curtis Bateson (Connor Oliver 62)
Subs not used: Jordan Cooke, Jake Skelton,

Alfreton Town: Fabien Spiess, Kallam Mantack, Nial Heaton, Terry Kennedy,
Brad McGowan, Ryan Wilson (Craig Westcarr 16)  , Adam Smith, Cecil Nyoni, Paul Clayton, Sam Smith (Todd Jordan 90+2),Andy Monkhouse. Subs not used: Liam Hearn, Adam Priestley, Tom Allan



Our Sponsors