AFC Telford United 3 NFU 0 (NLN 17-18)

Saturday 10 February 2018

 Vanarama National League North
AFC Telford United  3             North Ferriby United  0    
John Marsden 12
Amari Morgan-Smith 77p
Marcus Dinanga 90+2

After the form of the last two games, this was a disappointing from Ferriby. They can have no complaints about the result as they did not manage one attempt at goal, either  on or off target during the game.

Ferriby finished with 10 men for the second time in three games. Once again, it was player/assistant manager Paul Robson who saw red for a challenge in the 88th minute.  It was a strong challenge but it did seem that Robson won the ball.

The sending-off rubbed salt in the wounds to some extent as The Villagers conceded a contentious penalty after 77 minutes

Ferriby were nearly always second to the ball in midfield. Telford seemed to always have a man in space to collect passes or pick-up loose balls. The home side was stronger in the tackles and quicker to the ball throughout the game.

The opening 10 minutes contained nothing  in the way of excitement as neither team could ke ep hold of the ball. The pitch was slippery in certain areas and this did not help either side.

Telford gradually got on top and always looked dangerous when attacking.  John Marsden, Ama ri Morgan-Smith and Marcus Dinanga posed a continual threat throughout the game with their strength and pace. Ferriby’s midfield battled well but found it difficult to repel The Bucks’ attacks. They found it even harder to find a way forward.

Brett Agnew was a fairly forlorn figure up-front as he rarely received any good ball and was often forced to go in to his own half to forage for the ball.

The Villagers defence actually handled most of Telford’s attacks quite well and most of The Buck’s attempts on goal came from outside the area throughout the game. Once again, The Villagers never really looked like conceding from a set piece. That, though, may be the only real positive from the game.

Too many balls were given away through long kicks which saw the ball come straight back at Ferriby. This just increased pressure on the defence and meant that goal were always likely to come.

The only goal of the first-half came after 12 minutes as Telford were beginning to get a grip on the game. Marsden, on the left corner of the penalty area, curled a shot just inside the far post. Given the opening to the game, it was something out-of-the-blue as it was the first goal attempt of the match. Telford became more confident after this

Marsden then saw Jamie Forrester block a shot before curling another shot past the far-post. Amari Morgan-Thomas forced Ross Durrant into an excellent one-handed diving save.

As Telford continued to press, the ball came back off the bar in a goalmouth scramble. On the stroke of half-time Durrant again denied Telford when he flung himself to turn Anthony Dwyer’s shot round the post.

The second-half was pretty similar to the first. Ferriby remained shot-shy and Telford only managed two on-target efforts, the penalty and the final goal.

The penalty against Jack Walters was for handball. It seemed harsh, as Walters moved his hands to protect his face from a powerful close-range shot. Penalties are awarded in this situation regularly at all levels. They are technically correct but should a player be penalised for protecting himself from a possibly serious facial injury?

Amari Morgan-Smith sent Durrant the wrong way from the spot-kick and virtually sealed the game.

Robson’s dismissal did not affect the outcome of the game. Telford’s fin al goal in the second minute of added time. This was a curling effort from Marcus Dinanga from 16 yards, similar to the opening goal.

Given the quality of the two open play goals, Ferriby could have no complaints about the result when they were so shot-shy today.

Manager Chris Bolder was far from happy after the game,

“The performance, especially in the first-half was extremely disappointing. We’ve played well in the last two games and to show such a poor work ethic in the first-half was not acceptable.

“It’s always difficult to get a foothold in the game when you are struggling as a team and we found it very difficult to get in to the game today. The second-half performance was better, We restricted Telford to just two on-target shots, and one of them was the penalty.

 “We all know that many of the players lack experience at this level and that they are up against some high quality players each game. That means we have to be prepared to work hard if we are to compete.

“Today was something of a step backward after teh progress of recent weeks. At this stage of our re-development progress is always going to be uneven and today showed that. The players know what is required and they’ve got to be prepared to give that at Brackley on Tuesday.

NFU: Ross Durrant , Paul Robson, Jack Walters, Jamie Forrester (Ben Clappison 34), Jordon Cooke, Jack Mail, Jordan Harrison, Luke Lofts, Brett Agnew, Jordan Deacey  ( Charlie Dunkerley 73)  Jorome Slew (James Piercey 62)
Substitutes not used: Lewis Exall, Kojo Kyei 


AFC Telford United: BEN Wilson, Ross White, Ryan Wilson,  Connor Johnson, Shane Sutton, Ellis Deeney, John Marsden (Max Leonard 80),,  Jordan Lussey (Henry Cowans 80), Amari Morgan-Smith, Marcus Dinanga, Anthony Dwyer (Jordan Murphy 71)
Subs not used: Ryan Leak,  Jasbir Singh,  Jordan Gough


Our Sponsors