AFC Telford United 2 NFU 0 (SN)

Skrill NorthSaturday 19 October 2013

AFC Telford Utd 2  North Ferriby United 0
Scorers: Tony Gray 55; Mike Phenix 82

Ferriby’s six match winning run came to an end at Telford as the 10-men Villagers conceded two second-half goals.

The Villagers played the whole of the second-half with 10 men following Nathan Jarman’s dismissal for two yellow cards just before half-time.

The game was entertaining but there was little serious threat to either goal as both teams struggled to find a telling pass in the final third of the field.

Telford started brightly with two shots going wide. From the second of them, Adam Nicklin’s long goal-kick was taken by his opposite number, Ryan Young, with Jarman only inches away from getting a touch.

Telford seemed content to play long balls for Andy Owens and Sean Clancy to chase but Ferriby defended well and denied Telford clear-cut chances.

Ferriby gradually played themselves in to the game and Liam King dragged a shot narrowly wide following good work by Anthony Wilson. Russ Fry then saw his snap-shot go just over the bar. Young then did well to take a cross under pressure from both Danny Clarke and Ant Wilson.

Tony Gray saw his low shot comfortably saved by Nicklin as Telford countered.

The turning point came after 43 minutes when Jarman was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Chris Lever following an earlier card for a comment he made.

Telford used the extra player advantage to create more pressure in the second-half. Matt

The opening goal came after 55 minutes with game’s one real moment of quality. Gray did well to create space just inside the penalty area before curling a shot inside the far post.

Gregg Anderson twice went close for The Villagers but on both occasions his headers went just over the bar.

Telford saw two low crosses go across the goal area with no forward anywhere near them

Defences and midfield remained largely on top as both sides continued to struggle to find a killer pass that would create a goal. Wilson and Gregg Anderson dealt well with Telford’s aerial threat to restrict clear opportunities to the home side. Up front, Ant Wilson worked hard and proved a handful for Telford’s defenders.

Telford settled the game after 82 minutes.  Adam Farrell looked to well off-side as he latched on to a through ball on the left. He ran-on to the goal-line before crossing low to substitute Mike Phenix who tapped the ball in to an open goal.

Despite the result, Ferriby showed their character and spirit. The final score-line may have been harsh on them. They battled well even though they were not at their best. The Villagers were left pondering how different it could have been with 11 against 11.

Manager Billy Heath was obviously disappointed with the result, ”The sending-off changed the nature of the game and the second-half was always going to be difficult against eleven. Overall, it was a below par performance. However we are still third in the table and that’s god place to be.”

Heath will be expecting his players to respond in positive fashion when they play Guiseley at the Eon Visual Media Stadium on Tuesday. “Tuesday provides us with a chance to bounce back.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke (Ben Hunter 66), Russell Fry (Jon D’Laryea 66), Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman Jamie Yates (Ryan Kendall 78)
Subs not used: Mark Gray, Antoni Pecora

AFC Telford United: Ryan young, Wes Baynes, Chris Lever (Matty McGinn 45), Neill Byrne, Simon Grand, Mike Grogan, Sean Cooke (Mike Phenix 63),  Russell Benjamin, Andy Owens, Tony Gray, Sean Clancy (Adam Farrell)
Subs not used: Andy Pryce, Charlie Barnett

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors