Academy XI 2012-13

North Ferriby United Academy
Manager: Paul Sarel

The Reserve team plays in the East Riding County League Division One.
Home matches are played at The Police Ground, Inglemire Lane, Hull

League table

North Ferriby Academy 1-2 Walkington

Ferriby Academy welcomed high flying Walkington and Dean Windass to the Police Club last Saturday in what proved to be a very entertaining afternoon.

 The home team fielded a team with the average age of 18 against an experienced Walkington team who started the game in 2nd place in the league, Deano took charge of team management for Walkington due to an injury and absence of their normal team manager.

 The game started in sunshine with Walkington quickly on the front foot and testing the young villagers defence with some long balls towards the forwards. The defence marshalled superbly by captain Kieran Kitching coped confidently with everything that was being thrown at them. Long range efforts from both teams never looked like threatening either goal as defences ruled for much of the opening exchanges as the teams worked each other out. Then, just as the game settled down into a midfield battle which the young Ferriby team were starting dominate, the visitors scored. Once again a long angled ball was delivered by the Walkington midfield. The Ferriby defence hesitated for a second and in whipped the Walkington winger at the far post to volley passed the Academy team keeper to make it 0-1 to the visitors.

 After starting the game brightly but going behind it would have been very easy for the Ferriby team to give up hope. However, game by game they are learning how to cope with such setbacks and didn't let the goal effect the positive way in which they continued to play. Smart passing move after smart passing move often instigated by Paul Wray and Matt Conway in midfield followed but Ferriby couldn't find a way to break through the tough Walkington defence. Eventually on 40 minutes the pressure paid off. Reece Hickinbotham collected the ball on the left hand side of midfield. The wing-back cruised into the opposition half, beating two men before delivering a devastating cross away from the keeper and onto the head of Lewis Dennison. Dennison's perfect looping header left the despairing keeper with no chance to make it 1-1 at half time.

Buoyed by the first half display the Ferriby lads came out for the second half in determined mood.

 With the back three of Eddie Natitvede, Harvey Rayworth and Kieran Kitching proving to be well organised the Ferriby wing backs of Hickinbotham and Josh Green came more into the game as an attacking force.

Chances came the way of Oliver Skerrett from a free kick and Tiego Phetla came close after a mazy dribble but luck deserted them on both occasions. The visitors looked rattled.

Dennison broke down the left before directing a superb long cross onto the on-rushing Green who could only head over from 6 yards out, so close.

 John Firmage was brought on to add more attacking presence with 20 minutes to play, the home team going for victory. Firmage delivered a couple of testing crosses but the Walkington defence stood firm.

Then with 10 minutes to play Walkington won a free kick 40 yards out. A long angled ball seemed to be going out for a goal kick until the Walkington right winger stormed in late to finish past the unfortunate Jason Morgan in the Ferriby goal.

Ferriby pushed for an equaliser and inevitably left gaps at the back in their quest to score. Walkington almost exploited these gaps when their centre forward broke free only to be thwarted in a 1v1 situation by a superb save from Morgan.

Then in the final minute, Lewis Dennison picked up the ball just inside the Walkington half. Sensing that time was running out Dennison embarked on a superb dribble towards the edge of the opposition penalty area. Beating three men easily and on the verge of entering the penalty area his run came to an untimely end with a crude, cowardly shin high tackle which caused concern on the Ferriby bench. Tackles like this have no place in the modern game and young Lewis was lucky to come away without a broken leg. Nobody would have argued if the referee had produced a red card as the foul was so bad. Alas the referee only saw fit to brandish a yellow to the Walkington player and the game fizzled out with no more action.

 It was a shame the game ended with a bad taste in the mouth as Walkington were an honest team with fair players and a determined team spirit, well played to them.

 Final Score: North Ferriby Academy 1-2 Walkington.

Ferriby Man of the Match: Paul Wray

 Assessment: The young Ferriby team dominated for long periods of the game and kept possession superbly, limiting the very experienced Walkington team to few chances particularly in the 2nd half. As they grew in confidence Ferriby created many chances of their own and could have gone on to win the game with a little more composure. This was the most complete performance of the season despite the scoreline. Well Done to all the boys, they can take many positives from the game and drew praise from Deano himself.

Haltemprice Rangers 3- 1 North Ferriby Academy
North Ferriby took part in their first ever County League game last Saturday. The team put up a spirited performance that was very pleasing considering the average age of the team was only 17 years. Falling behind after only 2 minutes after a controversial penalty decision and retake after the first take was saved.

The team played some great football that led to an equaliser by Joe Karlson- Bond after 30 minutes.6 players were involved in the goal that saw the ball travel from the right hand side of the defence, across the midfield and down the left hand side before being played forward for Karlson - Bond who lobbed the on-rushing keeper.

The Ferriby team created the best chances, The Haltemprice keeper making several good saves throughout the game, including a chance cleared off the line from a Joe McFadyen shot but we eventually fell to two late goals to record a 3-1 defeat against a physically strong Haltemprice Rangers team.

Team (Goals in brackets) 
11 May Hornsea Town Reserves Lge A 0-0

Wayne Beck, Joshua Brook, Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Reece Hickingbotham, Busilana Kashilembo, Kieran Kitching, Tiego Phieta, Oliver Skerrett, Adam Stevens, Paul Usher. Playing subs: Paul Wray,

27 Apr  Easington United Reserves Lge H AW  
23 Apr Haltemprice Rangers Lge H 2-0

Wayne Beck (1), Joshua Brook,  Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Reece Hickingbotham, Busilana Kashilembo, Kieran Kitching, Tiego Phieta, Oliver Skerrett, Adam Stevens, Paul Usher. Playing subs: Paul Wray,

20 Apr Wawne United Reserves Lge A 2-1  Wayne Beck (1), Joshua Brook, Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Reece Hickingbotham, Busilana Kashilembo (2), Kieran Kitching, Paul Osborne, Tiego Phieta, Oliver Skerrett, Adam Stevens. Playing subs: Paul Wray,
 13 Apr  Easington United Reserves  Lge  A 1-2 

Wayne Beck (1), Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison. Reece Hickingbotham, Busilana Kashilembo, Paul Osborne, Tiego Phieta, Oliver Skerrett, Adam Stevens, Paul Usher. Playing subs: Anthony Keld, Joe McFadyen, Paul Sarel.

6 Apr Hedon Rangers Reserves Lge A 2-3 Josh Brook, Matthew Conway (1), Lewis Dennison. Reece Hickingbotham, Busilana Kashilembo, Anthony Keld, Kieran Kitching, Paul Osborne, Tiegp Phieta, Oliver Skerrett (1), Adam Stevens. Playing subs: Joe Cockshutt, Joe Karlson-Bond, Joe McFadyen
30 March East Riding Rangers Reserves Cup H 3-0

Wayne Beck, Josh Brook, Matthew Conway,Lewis Dennison, Busilana Kashilembo, Anthony Keld, Kieran Kitching, Paul Osborne, Tiego Phieta (1),Oliver skerrett (1), Richard Wood. Playing subs: Joe Cockshutt, Joe McFadyen (1), Adam Stevens

9 March Driffield Evening Institute Reserves Lge H 4-5

Josh Brook, Ryan Clarkson, Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison (1), Harvey Rayworth, Joe Karlson-Bond Busilana Kashilembo (1), Joe McFadyen, Paul Osborne, Paul Sarel (2). Playing subs: Josh Green, Anthony Keld 

23 Feb Haltemprice Lge A 3-3

Wayne Beck (1), Josh Brook, Ryan Clarkson, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, Harvey Rayworth, Busilana Kashilembo,  Joe McFadyen (1), Paul Osborne, Paul Wray' Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs Joe Cockshutt, Joe Karlson-Bond (1), Anthony Keld

16 Feb Gilberdyke Phoenix Lge A 1-3   Wayne Beck, Josh Brook, Ryan Clarkson, Lewis Dennison, Harvey rayworth, Busilana Kashilembo (1), Kieran Kitching, Paul Osborne, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett, Richard Wood Playing subs: Joe Cockshutt, Anthony Keld, Paul Sarel
9 Feb Hedon Rangers Reserves Lge H 1-2

Wayne Beck, Josh Brook, Ryan Clarkson, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, Busilana Kashilembo (1), Kieran Kitching, Joe McFadyen,Paul Osborne, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs Josh Green,

2 Feb Walkington Lge A 2-3

Wayne Beck, Josh Brook, Ryan Clarkson, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, Busilana Kashilembo (1),  Kieran Kitching, Joe McFadyen, Paul Wray (1), Tiego Phetia,  Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs Joe Cockshutt

 12 Jan  Hodgsons Reserves  Lge  H  1-7

Wayne Beck, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, John Firmage, Matthew Hare, Harvey Rayworth, Busilana Kashilembo (1), Kieran Kitching, Joe McFadyen, Jason Morgan, Tiego Phetia Playing subs: Harry Earl, Josh Green, Oliver Skerrett.

24 Nov St George's FC Cup A 0-4

Joshua Brook, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, John Firmage,  Harvey Rayworth, Kieran Kitching, Jason Morgan, Hatan Nour, Paul Wray, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett.  Playing subs: Matthew Hare,  Joe Cockshutt, Paul Sarel

17 Nov Wawne United Reserves Cup H 3-7

Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway,Lewis Dennison (1),  Harvey Rayworth, Reece Hickingbotham (1), Kieran Kitching, Joe McFadyen, Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade, Hatan Nour (1), Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs:Matthew Hare, Tiego Phetia

10 Nov Walkington Lge H 1-2

 Matthew Conway,Lewis Dennison (1), Josh Green, Harvey Rayworth ,  Reece Hickingbotham, Kieran Kitching, Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade, Paul Wray, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs:John Firmage

 3 Nov Pinefleet Wolfreton FC Reserves ER Int Cup 1 H 2-4  
27 Oct Gilberdyke Pheonix Lge H 2-2

Joshua Brook, Matthew Conway,Lewis Dennison (1), John Firmage, Josh Green, Reece Hickingbotham. Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade, Paul Wray, Tiego Phetia (1), Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs:Harry Earl Kallum Findley

20 Oct Hodgsons Reserves Lge A 3-5

Joe Cockshutt,  Harry Earl, John Firmage (2), Harvey Rayworth,  Reece Hickingbotham. Kiearan Kitching, Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade , Paul Wray, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett. Playing subs:Joshua Brook, Lewis Dennison, Kallum Findley (1)

13 Oct Molescroft Rangers Lge A 0-3

Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Harry Earl, John Firmage, Reece Hickingbotham. Kiearan Kitching, Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade , Paul Wray, Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett . Playing sub:Lewis Dennison, Kallum Findley,James McFadyen

6 Oct Abusua FC  ER Int Cup 1 H 6-1  
29 Sep Driffield Evening Institute Reserves Lge A 4-2

Joe Cockshutt, Matthew Conway, Lewis Dennison, Kallum Findley, John Firmage, Harvey Rayworth , Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade , Paul Wray (1), Tiego Phetia (2), Oliver Skerrett .  Playing sub:James McFadyen (1)

22 Sep Hornsea Town Reserves Lge H  3-2  John Firmage, Matthew Hare, Harvey Rayworth , Reece Hickingbotham, Kieran Kitching, Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade, Paul Osborne, Paul Wray (1), Tiego Phetia, Oliver Skerrett (2). Playing subs: Joe Cockshutt, Lewis Dennison, Kallum Findley 
15 Sep Haltemprice Lge  H 5-4 Lewis Dennison, Joe Firmage (1), Matthew Hare,Harvey Rayworth , Reece Hickingbotham, Kieran Kitching, Thomas Lee (1), Jason Morgan, Eduardo Natividade, Paul Wray (1), Oliver Skerrett (1). Playing sub: Joe Cockshutt (1)
8 Sep  Haltemprice Rangers Lge A 1-3  


North Ferriby Academy 5 - 4 Haltemprice FC

Ferribys academy team took on a physically strong and experienced Haltemprice FC team on Saturday and ran out the winners in a 9 goal thriller at the Police Club.

Haltemprice took advantage of their size and strength in the early minutes and before the young Ferriby team had even found time to settle into the game they found themselves down by 2-0 after only 8 minutes. Two set piece goals proved to be the undoing of the lads and they were finding it hard to deal with Haltemprices threat in the air.

A goal was pulled back after good link up play down the left hand side which lead to a free kick being awarded to Ferriby. Oliver Skerrett who had threatened from a similar position moments earlier, whipped in a killer ball across the line of the goalkeeper which took a slight deflection off a defender before hitting the back of the net.....Ferriby 1-2 Haltemprice FC 2.

The Ferriby team now controlled the game for a long period and created many chances through playing their neat passing game with the ball on the floor. However, Haltemprice still posed a threat and once again scored with a goal from a set-piece, this time a corner to make it Ferriby 1- 3 Haltemprice. Then harshly, a penalty was awarded to Haltemprice and the game could of been all but over but for a brilliant save by keeper Jason Morgan.

H/T Ferriby 1 - 3 Haltemprice FC
The 2nd half kicked off with a sustained spell of pressure and attacking flair from the Ferriby team. Confidence was now growing at a rapid rate and a superb move with the ball being played confidently through the thirds of the pitch resulted in a diagonal ball to the on rushing John Firmage who volleyed home from 6 yards out in spectacular fashion. Ferriby 2 -3 Haltemprice.

Ferriby continued to press and after a cross was cleared Thomas Lee picked the ball up, controlled with his first touch before striking an unstoppable 25yard drive beyond the despairing keeper to make it 3-3.

The boys were now dictating the pace of the game and winning every battle in all areas of the pitch. Another spell of pressure and smart play in midfield lead to another peach of a goal. This time substitute Joe Cockshutt picking up the ball and unleashing a 25 yard shot which deceived the keeper to make it Ferriby 4 -3 Haltemprice.

Ferribys football was now a delight to watch. Another 5 man move resulted in slide pass being played on for Paul Wray to beat the offside trap and lash the ball into the top corner to make it Ferriby 5 - 3 Haltemprice.

Haltemprice did score a late consolation from the penalty spot and to their credit played the game in the correct spirit which we applaud.

Final Score: North Ferriby Academy 5 - 4 Haltemprice FC

Man of the Match: Oliver Skerrett

 But all the credit has to go to a determined confident footballing display from the Ferriby team who's average age was only 18 years old. To recover from the shaky start and to display such maturity and togetherness was a pleasure to watch.

Well done lads.
Next game: Saturday 22nd September, North Ferriby Academy vs Hornsea Town Reserves.

North Ferriby Academy 6- 1 Asubua FC
Ferriby Academy took on Amateur League opposition in Asubua FC in the 1st round of the cup on Saturday in what proved to be a most unusual encounter.

The hosts fielded a team which included one 15 year old and three 16 year olds in the line up in a bid to give the lads vital senior football experience which is so important at this stage of their development.
Ferriby kicked off, lost the possession and immediately drew pressure from the opposition who from the first whistle attacked with ferocious intent, sometimes committing seven or eight players to an attack. This inevitably lead to gaps in their defence and within two minutes of the kick off the Ferriby boys mounted an attack down the left hand side. Lewis Dennison crossed and John Firmage arrived late at the far post to prod in the first goal of the game.

6 October 2012
Ferriby 1-0 Asubua FC

From the kick off Asubua attacked down the middle leading to a chance which Jason Morgan saved low down to keep the score at 1-0. The physicality and speed of the opposition was causing the Ferriby team quite a few problems and with the next attack came a chance for Asubua to equalise. A long ball out of their defence wasn't dealt with which left the centre forward with a 1v 1 on the goal. Harvey Rayworth lunged to try and retrieve the situation only to connect with the man.Penalty! The referee had no choice but to produce a straight red card and Ferriby were down to 10 men after only 10 minutes. Up stepped the centre forward who scuffed the penalty which bobbled harmlessly passed the post and a reprieve for the Ferriby lads.

The remainder of the half saw the young villagers lose shape as they fell into the trap of trying to play like the visiting team, the game quickly becoming like a school playground game with both teams playing far too open and only some woeful finishing at both ends kept the score at 1-0 at the break.

Half Time North Ferriby Academy 1- 0 Asubua FC
Changes were made at half-time and the ten men of the Ferriby team regrouped into a 3-5-1 formation with Joe McFadyen playing as the lone strike with the instruction to work his socks off and put the opposition centre backs under pressure. This worked almost immediately as McFadyen won a throwing which he took quickly to release Oliver Skerrett who broke free and finished unchallenged passed the on-rushing goalkeeper.

North Ferriby Academy 2-0 Abusua FC
The ten men now started to control the game with a better team shape and more energy. Two goals quickly followed. Simple but precise passing put McFadyen free on the left of the box and his sublime finish with the outside of his boot nestled in the bottom corner of the net , 3-0. The fourth followed when the tricky run of Tiego Phetla was brought to an abrupt end inside the box as he was sandwiched by a couple of defenders and brought down for a penalty. John Firmage stepped up to smash home the resultant penalty. 4-0 to Ferriby.

 The 5th and sixth goals followed after a sustained spell of pressure, the Ferriby boys starting to relax and enjoy their football. Matt Conway returned a goal-kick with a first time pass to McFadyen who once again finished with a cool left foot finish. 5-0. This was followed by a well deserved goal for Tiego Phetla to round off the home teams scoring 6-0.
Credit to the opposition, they pulled back a late consolation goal and Jason Morgan made the save of the game to tip a low shot around the post.
Ferriby played the last 20 minutes with only 9 men after John Firmage received an injury forcing him off the pitch, Ferriby having used all the substitions.
Final Score North Ferriby Academy 6-1 Abusua FC
Summary....a most unusual game of football!

Man of the Match: Joe McFadyen


Patrons of North Ferriby United:


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors