Frickley Ath 2 NFU 3 (Evo Prem)

Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division

Frickley Athletic 2   North Ferriby United  3
This was a defiant performance by a determined Ferriby side that played the last 20 minutes with 10 men following the sending-off of keeper Adam Nicklin.

The whole of the game was played in persistent and, at times heavy rain which made underfoot conditions increasingly difficult for the players.

The first half was a fairly uneventful affair with neither side rarely creating any serious threat.

Ferriby exerted some pressure after just two minutes following a Ryan Williams corner but the ball would not fall to a Ferriby player.

Frickley responded with a Matty Bloor free-kick that was driven straight at Adam Nicklin.

Nathan Peat's free-kick beat the advancing home keeper Tom Woodhead but the ball was cleared as Ryan Kendall closed in for the kill.

The closest to a goal came when Mark Gray cleared a Frickley header off the line

The game exploded into life in the second period. Ferriby took the lead after 48 minutes when Ryan Kendall followed-up his own shot to head home from close range after his first shot had been blocked.

Ferriby continued to press forward and Nathan Peat was unfortunate to see his 25-yard free-kick superbly tipped over by Woodhead.

Ferriby seemed to be in control when Anthony Wilson tapped home Kendall's cross after 66 minutes but within a minute Frickley had pulled a goal back. The ball was played in to Ferriby's area and reached Chris Howarth who fired home from 12 yards.

Worse was to follow for Ferriby after 72 minutes. Nicklin challenged Allott for a through-ball. Nicklin appeared to push the ball away with his hand but the referee awarded a penalty as Allott fell to the ground under the challenge. The referee had no option but to send-off Nicklin in the circumstances.

Antoni Pecora immediately replaced Ryan Williams to take Nicklin's place in goal. However, he was powerless to save Allott's well-struck penalty.

This spurred Frickley. Peat was forced to clear off the line and Pecora reacted quickly to beat Jason Yates to a through-ball.

As the underfoot conditions worsened Ferriby played themselves back in to the game and started to exert pressure on the home side despite being a player down.

Kendall fired over after good work from Wilson then midfielder Liam King saw his 20-yard drive go straight through to Woodhead.

Frickley also pressed hard but Ferriby defended solidly and denied Frickley any clear chances.

Ferriby scored a deserved winner after 88 minutes when Kendall's shot was deflected past Woodhead who was left wrong-footed.

Frickley may well disagree, but Ferriby deserved the victory as they adapted rather better to the conditions than the home side. The Villagers showed a tremendous resilience to re-group themselves and win.

Manager Billy Heath was delighted with the result: "Frickley is never an easy place to go to and get a result and this was a tremendous win. The players showed a great spirit and character to win in difficult circumstances. They reacted positively to losing a two goal and Adam's sending-off but they took the game to Frickley in the final ten minutes."

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Paul Foot, Mark Gray, Steve Ridley (Russell Fry 81), Chris Bolder, Anthony Wilson (Gary Bradshaw 89), Ryan Kendall, Ryan Williams (Antoni Pecora 72) Non-playing subs: Steve Gardner, Tim Taylor

Frickley Athletic: Tom Woodhead, Terry Barwick, Luke Jeffs, Jake Picton, Patrece Liburd, Danny Stimpson, Chris Howarth, Matty Bloor, Jason Yates, Gavin Allott, Jimmy Ghaichem (Chris Wood 89)
Non-playing subs:Luke Danville, Jassim Alali, Lee Stratford, Zack Levers


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors